Author Topic: Found! George Garratt - Bristol, Somerset, England - 1830  (Read 962 times)

Online djm297

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Garratt - Bristol, Somerset, England - 1830
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 July 22 06:42 BST (UK) »
Have you considered George Garret... bapt at Easton -in- Gordano on 3 Oct 1830- son of George Garret and Mary Carpenter-.they resided at Pill, which is just down the River Avon from Bristol. George Snr was a carpenter.

djm297

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 July 22 07:45 BST (UK) »
Here is that George
Parents George Garret and Mary Stacey married 1829 Easton in Gordano

1841 956/43/41
George 10 yrs with Mary and several children - presumably his mother and siblings.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQ1V-Q2D

George snr was a Ship’s Carpenter so maybe away.

1851 1946 /655/40

George Garratt   wid. 55 yrs Ship’s Carpenter
Mary A Garratt   10 yrs

1861 1711 /78/32

George Garrett 68 yrs with daughter Ellen Hunt and family
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dgarratt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 July 22 08:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help! I'll look into this post!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 July 22 12:05 BST (UK) »
Yes, I looked over the hints and the paper cuttings from other people that have them in their family tree. I'm not able to pay to see everything in the hints, so I'm just using what I can see. In the 1870 US federal Census it said that there was a George Garratt married to Margaret Garratt with the same birthday... do you think it might be a different Margaret?

In 1870 Baltimore, George is 40 and Margaret 38 - this is the only census they seem to have been found in and this states that both of them were born in Wales!

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 July 22 12:32 BST (UK) »

In 1870 Baltimore, George is 40 and Margaret 38 - this is the only census they seem to have been found in and this states that both of them were born in Wales!

Annette

1860…he born England, she born Wales

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: George Garratt - Bristol, Somerset, England - 1900
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 July 22 17:06 BST (UK) »
Danielle Garratt (me, January 23rd 1996) --> George P Garratt 3rd (my dad, April 4th 1953) and Janice Larue Hock --> George P Garratt Jr (Grandpa, October 4th 1915) Virginia May Miller --> George P Garratt Sr (April 1st 1951) and Ruth C Leipold --> David Garratt (June 7th 1863) and Mary E Phillips--> George Garratt (1830) and Margaret Leipold (Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, Wales).

That's as far as I've gotten back....

my tree: https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/tree/119156977/family?cfpid=430176912879
Hi Danielle,

My question was to find out what info. you have verified with dates/places & your info. tells very little.

It's not about 'as far as I've gotten back' it's about verifying the info. on the way back.

I had a look at your tree (only available to those with an ancestry sub)!...

You have wives added with their marital surnames rather than their maiden surnames.

Women should always be entered on family trees by birth/maiden surnames.

As an e.g. you will not find a birth/baptism for Ruth C Garratt (in your tree) unless Garratt was her birth surname, likewise you won't find a marriage for George P Garratt to Ruth C Garratt unless Garratt was her birth surname.
Ditto with George Garratt (Jnr) & Virginia May Garratt (in your tree) unless Garratt was the birth surname of Virginia?

Hope this helps?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline dgarratt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Found! George Garratt - Bristol, Somerset, England - 1830
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 July 22 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie!

Thanks, I've changed over all names. When I first started the tree a couple years ago, my dad had sent me info from a woman he had research everything for him so that's where I got dates from. Since I don't have an ancestry subscription, I'm going on very little as well. I was able to get some more info with marital names rater than maiden names so I think that's why I had their names like that. I'm very new to researching my family genealogy so I appreciate the help!

Danielle

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: George Garratt - Bristol, Somerset, England - 1900
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 July 22 22:05 BST (UK) »
it's like George Garratt never existed past his Obituary Post... it said he was born in Bristol and just before he passed away at 70 he went back to meet a sister he hadn't seen in 50 years.
The more precise the info. on your tree is, the better for connecting with others with equally precise info. which includes dates & places.

An e.g. is you have no date on your tree for the death of George in 1900.

Looking at the obituary & comparing with the other info. on your tree, Ann should be the wife of William G Griffith.

There's no mention of a/the wife of George in the obit which is odd?

Do you have births for the children with their mothers name/surname as it may be they weren't married?

Have you found George on a passenger list to England c1898?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Found! George Garratt - Bristol, Somerset, England - 1830
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 July 22 22:19 BST (UK) »

Looking at the obituary & comparing with the other info. on your tree, Ann should be the wife of William G Griffith.

Annie

This may not be very useful but William Griffith was the witness to George’s Naturalization. I saw it earlier but any record is via Fold3 which is payable. I when I saw this post, I thought I had better mention it. :)

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XGWZ-R52