Author Topic: Belfast Birth Marriage and Death Records 1930s  (Read 346 times)

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Belfast Birth Marriage and Death Records 1930s
« on: Sunday 03 July 22 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters

On either Ancestry and Find My Past, for some reason I don't seem to be able to locate any birth, marriage or death records for the late 1920s and early 1930s in Belfast.

Does anyone know if Northern Ireland Records for that period are actually on those databases?

Thanks
Runner55

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast Birth Marriage and Death Records 1930s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 July 22 14:41 BST (UK) »

Data protection legislation in Northern Ireland states that if you are using the internet to search the register, some of the records in GRONI will not be available to view.

Births – from 1864 to 100 years ago (i.e. current day 1922 in 2022)
Marriages – from 1845 (1864 for RC marriages) to 75 years ago (i.e. current day 1947 in 2022)
Deaths – from 1864 to 50 years ago (i.e. current day 1972 in 2022)

See GRONI Online
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 July 22 14:45 BST (UK) »
Ah right, thanks Kiltaglassan.  So it appears you have to go directly through GRONI; am I right in thinking then that even the available Northern Ireland records are not on any of the popular genealogy websites?

Regards
Runner55

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 July 22 14:49 BST (UK) »

Have a look at this webpage:
https://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com/Northern-Ireland-civil-registration.html

GRONI Search Room Database: Personal visitors only. This facility is not on the Internet and can be accessed only at GRONI's Public Search Room in Belfast OR on dedicated computer terminals at the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI), also in Belfast.

Contact GRONI
General Register Office (GRONI)
NISRA
Colby House
Stranmillis Court
Belfast BT9 5RR, UK.

Telephone: 0300 2007 890 or (+44(0) 28 9151 3101 if you are calling from outside Northern Ireland).

There is no 'historical records' access restriction for personal visitors. This computerised system holds Northern Ireland civil registration records as follows:

Births – 1864 to date
Marriages – 1845 (1864 for RC events) to date
Deaths – 1864 to date
Adoptions – 1931 to date
Civil partnerships – 2005 to date

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 July 22 15:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kiltaglassan.  That's really helpful.  I'll check it out.

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 July 22 17:24 BST (UK) »
GRONI is the only repository for birth, death and marriage records in what is now Northern Ireland, from 1.1.1922 onwards. (As others have explained, Ancestry and other websites don’t have them).

Births in Northern Ireland within the past 100 years, marriages within the past 75 and deaths within the past 50 aren’t searchable on-line. They are open to the public, just not on-line. If you know all the key details eg exact date and place of birth, parents names etc, you can order a copy of a certificate from GRONI for £15 (sterling). https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk

But if you don’t have all the information, you need to get in touch with them to get a search done.  They will do a 5 year search for £7 and if they find a matching certificate you can purchase it for £8, coming to a total of £15. It will be posted to you a few days later. You pay over the phone using a credit card. You type your number in on the phone keypad. They don’t know what it is.  They won’t deal with these searches and orders by e-mail or post because they need you to type the credit card number in yourself.

The numbers I have used are 0300 200 7890 (+44 300 200 7890 from outside the UK)

Alternatively if you live near Belfast, you can go in person to either GRONI or PRONI (both in Belfast). They are the only places where you can search recent records, right up to those registered yesterday. You can view each cert there for £2.50, and if you want a certified copy it’s an extra £8. (Posted out in 2 to 3 weeks time).
Elwyn

Offline Runner55

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 July 22 16:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Elwyn.  Very helpful information for me to follow up on.