Author Topic: 19th century mystery... abandonment?  (Read 1075 times)

Offline liverpoolgenealogy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 19th century mystery... abandonment?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 05 July 22 14:45 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if this is Sarah and Malachi on the 1861 census, only with slightly wrong names.

There is a Sarah Dowling, aged 47, living with a Michael Dowling, aged 10, in the same parish, St Martin's, as they are found on the 1871 census.  Sarah is born in Ireland, Michael in Liverpool. Sarah is listed as widowed.

Household schedule number:   42
Piece:   2651
Folio:   5
Page number:   8

I can imagine someone struggling with the accent and getting Michael instead of Malachi for example. I also think that Dowling and Dooley isn't that far off.

Burial Ford Cemetery
December 19th 1859
Malachy Dowling  47 yrs Dryden Street

Free BMD has Malachi Dowling

Dryden Street is next to Rachel Street on a modern map.

I think this is a good match up with the Dowling family in the 1861 census. But is it the right family? I think it probably is, but I haven't really come across such inconsistent use of names anywhere else on my tree, hence the confusion. I've come across spelling variations, errors and name changes before, but not to this degree. No wonder they've been so hard to trace!

Do you think its worth ordering this certificate? I think the one for Sarah (d. 1884) definitely is, but would like to get someone's thoughts on this one.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 05 July 22 14:54 BST (UK) »
I canít see any other records for Malachy Dowling so, if it were me, I would go for the certificate even if only to discount him.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 05 July 22 14:57 BST (UK) »
I canít see any other records for Malachy Dowling so, if it were me, I would go for the certificate even if only to discount him.

In that case, then, I'll go for it. Hopefully, this will clear up a few things!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 05 July 22 15:07 BST (UK) »
Oh I hope so.

I was just looking at FindMyPast, Liverpool Workhouse records but have no access.
In the admissions and Creed registers, there are 3 entries of interest.

All 1849
Malachi Daley b 1814

Malachi Duval b 1809

Malache Duval. 1807

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 05 July 22 15:15 BST (UK) »
Broadening the search, he may be elsewhere in records.
I couldnít find anything else in Liverpool so perhaps Mr Duval isnít yours. ;)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 05 July 22 15:29 BST (UK) »
The Malachi Daley record doesn't give any further useful information unfortunately, other than his settlement was Ireland.  Admitted 7 Dec 1849 to what looks like the Temporary Ward (?) Discharged 9 Dec per Wm Evans Order.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 14 July 22 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I received the certificates this morning, and I though I would post the results for anyone interested.

Sarah's certificate confirms she was the widow of Malachi Dooley. She died at the Workhouse, and the information was someone from there.

Malachi's certificate information was given by Sarah Dowling, and his occupation is given as a general labourer and their address of 5 Dryden St.

The first certificate is certainly correct. The second certificate does connect Malachi to the 1861 census entry for Sarah Dowling. But, are they the correct couple? I think they could be, given that Malachi wasn't a common name, and Sarah wasn't the most common name either, and for them to be listed together does make me think that it is them, just under a slightly different name.

Thank you to all who helped me solve this mystery, I really do appreciate all you have done to help me! Thank you so much.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 14 July 22 16:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information. It all seems very favourable.

Best wishes 
Heywood

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 14 July 22 20:20 BST (UK) »
It's always good to hear of a positive outcome.

Likewise, I think the 2 deaths are correct although of course based on what was known as well as circumstantial evidence with name variants (quite common for the time) & the occupation.

I never thought he was the Malachi who emigrated to New York based on the date & his occ. although of course he could've been, if his name hadn't appeared on the English 1851 although I had a relative who proclaimed to be a widow (in England) while her hubby was in Ireland! ???

Great result as there was a lot of good sleuthing...too many to mention, well done folks!  :)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"