Author Topic: 19th century mystery... abandonment?  (Read 985 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 19th century mystery... abandonment?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 July 22 23:21 BST (UK) »
That looks very favourable Stanwix
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 July 22 02:06 BST (UK) »
I haven't read through the previous threads but have you ruled out the Sarah DALY in the 1881 census with daughter Bridget?  RG11/3599/5/4

1H 7Co Wright Street
Sarah Daly 60 widow Chip Hawker b Ireland
Bridget Daly 28 Daur b Ireland

The ages are out but Wright Street looks like it was very close to Rachel Street - both in the Scotland Ward.

There is a burial at Ford Cemetery on 23 May 1884 of a Sarah DOULEY aged 62, but unfortunately no address is given.

DOOLEY, SARAH  aged 62  GRO Reference: 1884  J Quarter in LIVERPOOL  Volume 08B  Page 105

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham. North Yorkshire.  JACKSON: East Yorks, North Yorks, Durham. TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline liverpoolgenealogy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 July 22 12:48 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if this is Sarah and Malachi on the 1861 census, only with slightly wrong names.

There is a Sarah Dowling, aged 47, living with a Michael Dowling, aged 10, in the same parish, St Martin's, as they are found on the 1871 census.  Sarah is born in Ireland, Michael in Liverpool. Sarah is listed as widowed.

Household schedule number:   42
Piece:   2651
Folio:   5
Page number:   8

I can imagine someone struggling with the accent and getting Michael instead of Malachi for example. I also think that Dowling and Dooley isn't that far off.

Thanks, that's a really great find! I think you may be on to something there! That street name is written dreadfully though. I read it as Grenville st. initially, a street with that name does exist in Liverpool (or it used to at least https://historic-liverpool.co.uk/interactive-maps/old-streets-liverpool/#15/53.4151/-2.9794 ) but in the wrong district. Any other ideas on what it could be?

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 July 22 12:56 BST (UK) »
I haven't read through the previous threads but have you ruled out the Sarah DALY in the 1881 census with daughter Bridget?  RG11/3599/5/4

1H 7Co Wright Street
Sarah Daly 60 widow Chip Hawker b Ireland
Bridget Daly 28 Daur b Ireland

The ages are out but Wright Street looks like it was very close to Rachel Street - both in the Scotland Ward.

There is a burial at Ford Cemetery on 23 May 1884 of a Sarah DOULEY aged 62, but unfortunately no address is given.

DOOLEY, SARAH  aged 62  GRO Reference: 1884  J Quarter in LIVERPOOL  Volume 08B  Page 105

That's a good find, I'm not so sure on this as the ages do seem to be pretty consistent here, but that doesn't mean anything, of course! This record can't be dismissed though! I might have to order her death certificate to see if any further info appears on that.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 July 22 12:57 BST (UK) »
I hope this works.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.888675263547153&lat=53.42007&lon=-2.97952&layers=117746212&right=osm

Grenville Street was the continuation of Rachel Street  :) which can still be seen today.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 July 22 12:59 BST (UK) »
I hope this works.
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.888675263547153&lat=53.42007&lon=-2.97952&layers=117746212&right=osm

Grenville Street was the continuation of Rachel Street  :) which can still be seen today.

Ah, thank you for confirming. The map I was using was from the mid-20th century, so the street had probably gone by that point.

I think there is a really strong possibility that its them!!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 July 22 12:59 BST (UK) »
May I just say, in 1851 you have Malachy b Ireland - Dunmore. Julia/Sarah is dittoed but the lodger Thomas Burke is also shown as Dunmore.

There is a Dunmore in Galway and Waterford - and several other counties too when you look, but not Carlow where you found the baptism.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 July 22 13:03 BST (UK) »
May I just say, in 1851 you have Malachy b Ireland - Dunmore. Julia/Sarah is dittoed but the lodger Thomas Burke is also shown as Dunmore.

There is a Dunmore in Galway and Waterford - and several other counties too when you look, but not Carlow where you found the baptism.

That's true, but in my experience, birth places on the census, especially for those born outside of the county they were registered in seem to vary from census to census. I tend to accept that record as being potential, rather than definitive, especially as it fits in with the correct time period.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 July 22 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thatís fine. I just wanted to mention it.
In my experience, if there is a county or townland in addition to ĎIrelandí, it usually is reliable.
The difficulty is that early parish records are often missing.

I did notice that Griffiths Valuation, has the three surnames in Dunmore, Galway (I didnít check anywhere else) but certainly Dooley and Burke are not uncommon.