Author Topic: 1951 census is "Lost"!!  (Read 9052 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
1951 census is "Lost"!!
« on: Monday 05 September 05 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

It wont bother me I as I will not be around when it becomes available, but has anyone seen this statement from a Radio 4 programme?

For example, he can reveal for the first time, that the UK population census data from 1951 are lost, as are significant parts of the 1961 and 1971 census data.
Read about the programme here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/history/losing_the_past.shtml

Wonder what else is wrong - I have heard rumours about the 1911 census - things being lost etc.

Ahh well be satisfied with what we have now.

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Nessie

• I am sorry my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1951 census is "Lost"!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 September 05 11:31 BST (UK) »
Makes one wonder how the data we now have survived from the 1800s and the later ones haven't. Was it because it was preserved hand written and the 1951 etc were on tapes? Surely the powers that be saved the handwritten ones as backups
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 September 05 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith I'll look out for the program it should be interesting

Wonder what else is wrong - I have heard rumours about the 1911 census - things being lost etc.

A quote from Your Family Tree Magazine Issue 25, June 2005 The article by Rod Neep, Page 98

"The 1911 Census documents are very incomplete and the ones that have survived were allowed to become damaged and stained.  Those who work at The National Archives know where they are by the smell"

Guess there is no chance of them looking after the later ones any better ;D

Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline rosanne

• RootsChat Member
  • Just keep looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 06:30 BST (UK) »
Makes you wonder about all those digital photos we take and all the old ones we've scanned for "safekeeping"

Rosanne
Maxwell, Kidson, Beckett, Byrne, Knight, Jeavons, Bitheway, Ellow, Ganly....Greater London and surrounds also Ireland

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 10:12 BST (UK) »
We are all in the same boat - I have read that some of the USA census records are on punch cards - all save and secure - problem is there are no machines left to read them!!

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Falkyrn

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 22:55 BST (UK) »
Apparantly the Australians destroyed all of theirs once the information was used for the various purposes for which it was collected and have only recently decided to preserve future records.

No one envisaged that anyone else would ever be interested in the information.

Rumours are that much of the 1911 english census is unlikely to be legible due to poor storage over the years.... one article in a magazine claimed staff knew where the records were by the smell of damp. !!