Author Topic: Death Gardner/Gardiner Bell, dod Jan 22,1862, Annaghmore  (Read 816 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Death Gardner/Gardiner Bell, dod Jan 22,1862, Annaghmore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 July 22 08:35 BST (UK) »
How do these people fit into your family history?
I see this question was either missed or ignored?
Have you looked at the 34 ancestry trees?
It seems to me, most questions arise from those 34 trees i.e. the info. gleaned from them is being used to find further info.

This is a genealogy help site, not a subscription site but is being used as such at others' expense.

I've never come across so many queries by 1 person in the time I've been a member on RC (15 yrs)!

I have the title "Marquessate" with 13,487 posts but I doubt my requests would be anywhere near 50 let alone 3145 which is taking things more than a step too far & needs to be addressed.

Have some respect for the site, the people who use it & what makes RC what it is!

Sorry for my honesty but...it had to be said as others need genuine help with one off situations so they can get on & do their own research further, not relying on RC on a daily basis which is what your threads have become!

Not just 1 request at a time & wait until it was followed up on & finished but several in 1 day as if on a family tree building expedition with no regard for others.
Much of the 'known' info. you gave as info. you'd researched turns out to be info. you found on others' trees, not exactly 'research' in terms of 'genealogy research' ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 July 22 18:45 BST (UK) »
Good morning, Annie. I would like to express my gratitude to each and every person who has helped me.
I guess your investigation does not show that I have a paid for World Deluxe subscription to Ancestry, and that I have paid for hundreds of records on Scotland's People, on GRO and Groni as well as records that I have requested from various pay sites. Also, several paid subscriptions to British Newspaper Archive.
It doesn't seem to show that I have indeed helped others on Rootschat and some that have approached me directly or have been referred to me directly as a person that has an interest in that family. I have helped to the extent of ordering and paying for records that benefitted them, not myself.
Some of my known info comes from old family letters that descendants kept for over 150 years. There is a family in Ohio that I have spent literally thousands of hours helping, for free, outside of Rootschat and independently of Rootschat. If I have found family trees on Ancestry that have info that I know to be in error, because I have an actual certificate from  irishgenealogy or paid for, and not obtained here, to prove otherwise, I take the initiative to notify them with the correct info. Some are thankful, others don't reply.
At any rate, this is not the  place to carry on. If I can help you in any way, please let me know.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 July 22 20:44 BST (UK) »
Going back to my question at reply 3 & reading your latest reply - does it mean that these numerous posts are not your own FH?

Although I have not been actively involved, the sheer volume of posts by you have made me curious enough to read many of them as the subject matter is usually much the same on the majority of them.
I suppose the one thing that has always stood out to me is the speed with which info is found by others & particularly the large quantity of info found. 

I have often wondered why that level of info has eluded you & assumed you did not subscribe to the various sites but your reply suggests otherwise.

EDIT

Since 1st June alone you appear to have posted 22 new requests

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 July 22 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hello CaroleW, I have a DNA connection to  descendants of the people that I have been posting about, such as the Leacocks,  Caulfields, Wattersons, Lennox and Johnstons so there is definitely a family connection. I am lucky enough to have treasured family letters from the 1860s from  Ireland, and others from abt 1900 within Canada. I have travelled to  Ireland for genealogy info.
Aside from helping myself, I know that others that read my posts are helped as well. I had a grateful message from a fellow poster who thought her direct ancestor had died in Scotland before 1900, and many trees had copied that same info,  but learned from one of my posts that he had actually emigrated to the USA where he died. Sandra and aghadowey helped me immensely by finding that info, and much other info.
Thanks again
Peggy

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 10 July 22 01:04 BST (UK) »
I think a point is that having been given much information from easily (relatively) sources on quite a few occasions your subsequent research does not appear to add & use  these finding aids before you ask for help.

Do you have a process that you follow yourself for each person?
Such as (in no particular order)
FS
National census
Griffiths
tithe applotments
http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/
Irish naming patterns
lists of townlands
Googling names
searching on Rootschat

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 10 July 22 06:00 BST (UK) »
I spend several hours most days using Familysearch, Ancestry, irishgenalogy, all fantastic resources. I am cognizant of the naming pattern which is not always followed. I frequently google names or couples and sometimes get referred to My Heritage or Wikitree. And of course, I use Rootschat which you know. Many of my requests predate the censii and also 1864 births and deaths, although I can catch marriages back to 1845. Most of my interests trace back to Magherafelt which is a lovely place. I must admit I am not good at using tithe applotments or Griffiths.
If I have checked 34 trees with no more info than I already have, often less, I must think of something else to do. But yes, I do look around before I post.