Author Topic: Contacting a family tree owner on Ancestry  (Read 2141 times)

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Contacting a family tree owner on Ancestry
« on: Saturday 09 July 22 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hello, I'm struggling to see how contact can be made with an Ancestry family tree owner. I'm using the Ancestry Library edition in a public library. The online advice I can find suggests clicking on the tree owner at the top of the display, but the tree in question doesn't have this option. Could anyone suggest how I might proceed? The tree in question is the Swain Family Tree, which includes Matthew James Kennedy, my person of interest. Thanks.
Allonby, Burns, Ibison, Park

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Contacting a family tree owner on Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 July 22 18:08 BST (UK) »
Have you got the tree up in either tree display or listing?

Also can you click on the tree owner's profile?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 July 22 18:12 BST (UK) »
You can only initiate contact using the anc messaging system if you're logged in and have a paid sub, library edition doesn't count :(
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 July 22 18:23 BST (UK) »
Have you got the tree up in either tree display or listing?

Also can you click on the tree owner's profile?

I had the display in both modes, but the tree owner's profile wasn't visible.

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 July 22 18:25 BST (UK) »
You can only initiate contact using the anc messaging system if you're logged in and have a paid sub, library edition doesn't count :(

Ah, okay, thanks for confirming what I suspected. I'll probably post a message about the Swain connection here and maybe elsewhere, to see if it elicits a response.

Offline Douglas P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 09 July 22 23:59 BST (UK) »
Without a paid up sub the only other option is that you can send them an invitation to view your tree and include a message. This assumes you can find their username.
East Kilbride:     Macaulay, Scott
Lanarkshire:      Graham, Brown, Struthers, Smith, McMillan, Napier
Dunnet:             Nicholson, Douglas
Halkirk:             Fraser, Campbell
Thurso:             Coghill, Houston
W. Lothian:       McKay
Muiravonside:   Nimmo, Robertson
Alloa:                Johnstone, Syme
Tillicoultry:         MacDonald

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 July 22 02:53 BST (UK) »
The tree in question is the Swain Family Tree, which includes Matthew James Kennedy, my person of interest.
What is his birth year & where, to narrow down the list thrown up by name only?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 July 22 12:46 BST (UK) »
A few of options:-

1 - subscribe to Ancestry for a month

2 - if you have not had your DNA tested then you can buy a kit and three months membership of Ancestry

3 - if you already have taken a DNA test then you can upload your DNA data to the comparison websites where you may find that the owner of the tree has also uploaded there data, it is a longshot but could be worth it.

4 - join Facebook and seek out the Groups related to Family History in the Country concerned and also in the local region and post there.  I found great links to my Cheshire Ancestry via a Fb Group.

5 - seek out the single name family groups on Tribal Pages

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 July 22 17:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies so far. I don't (yet) have a family tree on Ancestry, but it's clearly an option to build one and then try and make contact. Regarding the DNA suggestion - I think I'll pass on that one  ;D but Facebook might be a possibility. I don't do Facebook myself, but my wife does, so I'll set her to work on it.

Regarding the person in question: Matthew James Kennedy, birth registered Q4 1889, Chepstow. In the Swain family tree he's shown as having died in 1935, but I think this may well be wrong, hence the need to contact the tree owner. I suspect the death record they've identified relates to Matthew JOHN Kennedy, born Q2 1887, Cardiff and died Q1 1935 Abergavenny. At least I hope this is the case. I'm looking for someone who effectively 'ceased to exist' in official records between 1901 and 1911, and if the death record is as I think, then Matthew James Kennedy is probably who I'm looking for.

This enquiry relates to my earlier posts going back to 2017 concerning a certain James Matthew Devauden. I think Devauden might be Kennedy. Why? Because Devauden 'came into being' between 1901 and 1911, despite being born in 1889, and Kennedy 'disappeared' during the same period. Then there's the Christian names, but I think the clincher is that Kennedy's elder sister - elder by just 12 months (1891 census) - is noted as being born in Tidenham (village in Gloucesterchire - Chepstow registration district), and that's where Devauden was born according to the 1921 census.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the above, especially concerning the death records of M J Kennedy? Many thanks, Chris.