Author Topic: Sarah Ann Whitfield (Hopwood) Marriage  (Read 700 times)

Offline McFab

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sarah Ann Whitfield (Hopwood) Marriage
« on: Sunday 10 July 22 23:57 BST (UK) »
I am looking for help with Sarah Ann Whitfield born in 1830 in Staffordshire, see the following details;
   Parents:   William & Ann (Allen) Whitfield
        Born:   1830, Potteries, Hanley, Stoke-upon-Trent
   Baptised:   14th November, 1830, St Peter ad Vincula
   Marriage:   John Hopwood (Possibly), 6th May, 1849

To find further proof of Sarah’s marriage, I have traced her to the 1851 Census. One entry I found shows Sarah Whitfield, aged 20 years living as “Sister Lodger” with her sister Ann and her husband Henry Redfern in Garbett Street, Lady Wood, Birmingham.

The other entry in the 1851 Census shows Sarah Hopwood, aged 20 years living with her “possible” husband John Hopwood as a “Lodger” in Sheaf Street, Shelton, Stoke-upon-Trent. My research shows Sarah married a John Hopwood on the 6th May, 1849 in Stoke-upon-Trent.

What I am struggling to find is, have I possibly found the wrong husband for Sarah Ann, as the marriage date to John Hopwood is two years earlier than the Census entries.

Grateful for any possible help
Regards
McFab

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Ann Whitfield (Hopwood) Marriage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 July 22 00:25 BST (UK) »
The Sarah Whitfield who married John Hopwood in 1849 has a father called James Whitfield who is a potter. Image is on FindMyPast.

Offline McFab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 July 22 01:06 BST (UK) »
Excellent, thank you Comberton, that makes sense now, I haven't got this new James Whitfield in my tree yet, I'll leave that for a later date. Now I can look for a husband for my Sarah Ann maybe in Birmingham.

Thank you again
Regards
McFab

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 July 22 12:10 BST (UK) »
1841 Stoke Lane, Stoke upon Trent (As transcribed)

William Wetfield   50
Ann Wetfield   40
William Wetfield   20
Thomas Wetfield   15
George Wetfield   14
Ann Wetfield   12
Sarah Wetfield   10
Ruth Wetfield   4

1851 – 37 Garbett St.Birmingham. (I would have thought this was Sarah, not the other one)

Henry Redfern 23 Ann Redfern 23 Sarah Whitfield 20

Ann & Sarah noted as born Potternes, Staffordshire (Potteries)

I note the 1849 marriage & the 1851 census. Whilst it was not impossible for someone to be recorded on two separate returns but as posted not your Sarah.

Sarah WHITFIELD   Baptism   14 Nov 1830   Staffordshire   Stoke-upon-Trent : St Peter ad Vincula : Parish Register. Parents William a fireman & Ann of Stoke Lane

There was another Sarah born in the area in 1830, recorded twice on freereg, parents Richard & Elizabeth.

Sarah WHITFIELD   Baptism   07 Feb 1830   Staffordshire   Hanley : Methodist New Connexion Circuit : Parish Register
Sarah WHITFIELD   Baptism   07 Feb 1830   Staffordshire   Burslem : Zoar Chapel : Parish Register

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 July 22 12:20 BST (UK) »
For information, on freereg

Ann WHITFIELD to Henry REDFERN   Marriage   Sep 1850   
Staffordshire   West Bromwich : Registrars Marriages : Parish Register

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline McFab

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Ann Whitfield (Yeomans) Marriage
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 October 22 23:29 BST (UK) »
I have another query regarding Sarah (Whitfield) & William Yeomans, I have documented their life through to St. Pancras, London and their deaths in what I believe was 1899 for Sarah and 1907 for William. Although I have a complete date for Sarah, 21st May, 1899, I can only find the year for William.
Sarah left a mason, Henry George Weymouth the sum of £184. 3s. 8d which could be for a stonemason for her headstone (no proof) in her probate.
If anybody could help with more information on their deaths or burial places it would greatly appreciated.
McFab

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 October 22 18:59 BST (UK) »
£184. 3s. 8d is a lot of money to be leaving to cover cost of a funeral/stone. Just under £18,000. See www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Ann Whitfield (Yeomans) Marriage
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 October 22 19:11 BST (UK) »

Sarah left a mason, Henry George Weymouth the sum of £184. 3s. 8d which could be for a stonemason for her headstone (no proof) in her probate.

That's a misunderstanding of the info in the probate register. Henry Weymouth was her executor, and the amount was the total of her estate  left in her will