Author Topic: 1881 Burial in Camden.  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1881 Burial in Camden.
« on: Wednesday 20 July 22 18:19 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out where William Eglin Clayton, 1850-1881, is buried.  I looked on deceasedonline.com and it just says Camden, buried on 21st October 1881.

Does that mean he was buried in the nearest cemetery, Islington and St. Pancras Cemetery?  And is that the same as St Pancras Cemetery? 

Where do you search for burial records?  Are they online?  Or in local Family History libraries? Or will the National Archives in Kew have a copy?

I also looked on deceasedonline.com for Harry Thompson 1867-1926, who I know his death was recorded in the  March quarter in Islington.  It just says buried on 1st January 1926, Islington.  Would that be the Islington and St Pancras Cemetery?  Where do I look to find out?  Where are these burial records kept?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 Burial in Camden.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 July 22 18:38 BST (UK) »
You would need to view the record for a small fee and that would give you the grave details ..You can also pay to view a map of grave location?

Rosie

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 July 22 19:02 BST (UK) »
You would need to view the record for a small fee and that would give you the grave details ..You can also pay to view a map of grave location?

Rosie

Does that website deceasedonline.com have the actual burial records?  The same details that you can find in family history libraries?  Everything that is written on the gravestone?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 July 22 19:13 BST (UK) »
They will have the lair number of the grave date of burial and name of the cemetery they don't have memorial inscriptions .There might not be a grave stone

Rosie

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 July 22 19:56 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out where William Eglin Clayton, 1850-1881, is buried.  I looked on deceasedonline.com and it just says Camden, buried on 21st October 1881.

I would say that he was buried at Highgate Cemetery.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 July 22 20:01 BST (UK) »
Harry Thompson 1867-1926, who I know his death was recorded in the  March quarter in Islington.  It just says buried on 1st January 1926, Islington. 

Islington Cemetery (in Finchley)

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 July 22 20:21 BST (UK) »
Harry Thompson 1867-1926, who I know his death was recorded in the  March quarter in Islington.  It just says buried on 1st January 1926, Islington. 

Islington Cemetery (in Finchley)

Thanks.  Is that the same as Islington and St Pancras Cemetery, 278 High Road, London N2 ?

I am wondering whether to make a trip to the local family history library, or whether because these people though from the same area might be in different administrative areas if all the information might be in the National Archives at Kew.  I wanted all kinds of other information about them too, like who was living in their houses, especially William Eglin Clayton as I can't trace his widow after 1884.  I thought she might be in the same grave as him, as they were relatively wealthy and he would definitely have a grave stone.  He was the heir of a licensed victualler who owned several pubs, and owned a large house, having just sold a pub.

Offline Althea7

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 July 22 20:24 BST (UK) »

I would say that he was buried at Highgate Cemetery.

He wasn't famous.  He was fairly wealthy and would almost definitely have his own grave stone, but I thought Highgate Cemetery was just famous and very rich people?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 July 22 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
Lots of famous people are buried at Highgate Cemetery. Like Karl Marx!
Other than that, I don't know much about it!

Secret intelligence tells me that William Eglin Clayton should be buried at Highgate.

Islington and St Pancras cemeteries are at Finchley, next to each other. They seem to be more or less regarded as one cemetery nowadays.

I believe that if someone has just one (?) credit on Deceased Online they can see the names of the cemeteries in the index. The rest of us just get to see the authority.
So maybe someone will be able to confirm, or otherwise, those two burial places.
John