Author Topic: Depear family of Spalding  (Read 818 times)

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Depear family of Spalding
« on: Sunday 24 July 22 11:34 BST (UK) »
The Depear family of Spalding go back to the mid 1700's and were mostly Tailors until later when one John was a sailor who was lost in the great storm of 1880, I am wondering where they came from originally as it is not a common name in Lincolnshire. Another James Henry was also a sailor in the 1911 census but died later age 34 in the same year.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Depear family of Spalding
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 July 22 12:49 BST (UK) »
Good Morning Keith
You don't give dates or names of those you found
Earliest I can see in the area is
Mathew Depair/Depear/De Peer marrying a Rebecah Fisher at Moulton 10.7.1704
His probable burial 13 May 1747 describes him as a grazier.There is a Admin  at Lincoln Archives which may give more info.

Children Sara 25.8.1706,Mathew 26.5.1708,John 22.10.1710,Luke 29.6.1713,and Daniel 3.10.1718.
Earlier child with first wife Susan -Elizabeth 5.11.1701
Susanna was buried 22.2.1704.
It looks like a possible brother Daniel married a possible sister of Rebecca 18.3.1713 at Moulton
Daniel De Pere and Judith Fisher.

The earliest actually in Spalding is John and Mary Telford marrying 14.4.1776
I'm assuming John born 1751 buried 7.4.1783 is him of West Elloe
Looking around the likelist for his parents are Mathew and Mary nee Thorpe married Whaplode 1742 with children born Moulton including John 29 May 1745 .Making him the grandson of Mathew and Rebecca.

I would like to think originally they came from France and were part of the French Huguenot community fleeing persecution .

ps there is a birth /christening for a Mathieu Depoer son of Joannes Depoer and Joanne Foute at Steenvorde ,Nord,France 30 March 1681

Ciderdrinker

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 July 22 13:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry ciderdrinker I should have added more dates etc, John Depear the Sailor married on 30th June 1867, the sons I have found are John James married to Kate Blood Kisby on 19th December 1892 & James Henry married to Martha Derippe Woodthorpe on 24th December 1901 who died age 34 in July 1911.
Keith

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 July 22 16:43 BST (UK) »
You say the family go back to the mid 1700’s in Spalding so why do you think the surname originated elsewhere?

Do you think it may have foreign origins?

1841 - only in Lincolnshire
1851 - mainly Lincs but several entries with birthplaces other than Lincs - birthyears indicate these entries should be visible in 1841

The problem may be that it’s a surname easily mis-spelt
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 22 18:44 BST (UK) »
CaroleW, been suggested it may be a French Huguenot name but I have looked a a list but not found it at all.
Keith

Offline alexreg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 February 23 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith,

I'm not sure if you've made progress since you posted this last July, but in case you're still working on it, I thought I'd let you know that I might be able to help here. I too am a descendant of the same Depear family of Lincolnshire (albeit through a line that diverged from yours very early on) and you might be interested in some of the research I've done and the documents I have in my possession.

In any case, you're right that Depear (sometimes rendered DePear or other ways, especially in earlier years) is not a common name in Lincolnshire, or indeed elsewhere in England. Ciderdrinker is correct that the family is ultimately of Huguenot origin – or to be more precise, Walloon Calvinists. The family name was originally De Lespiere (rendered a number of ways, including De Piere), and they settled in the area of Hatfield Chase beginning in the 1630s. They relocated to Thorney near Peterborough from the early 1650s, where a French-speaking Walloon community was established with their own church, under the protection of the Earl Russell of Bedford. Some of them were involve in the fen drainage projects both in Hatfield Chase and the Great Fen of Peterborough. There are some suggestions the De Lespiere family was among the skilled drainage workers, but it is not conclusive.

The main branch of the De Lespiere family migrated to Moulton in the late 1600s. Certainly Mathieu de Lespiere (b. 1669), who Anglicised his name to Matthew De Piere/Pear, was there by the 1690s. He first married a woman named Susannah Mann with whom he had a daughter Elizabeth, as Ciderdrinker has pointed out. He remarried to Rebeccah Fisher, and had the children whom Ciderdrinker lists, as well as another named Mark (b. 1715) whose baptismal record does not exist, but who is otherwise well attested. My line goes back to the second son John Depear, whose descendants remained in Moulton until the very end of the 1700s, after which they relocated to Holbeach. Again, Ciderdrinker appears to be correct that your Spalding Depear line goes back to the John Depear who married Mary Telford in 1776 in Spalding, and died there. However, since looking at the 1747 will of Matthew Depear, I am not so sure that this John Depear is the same as the one born 1745 in Moulton, son of the aforementioned Matthew Depear of Moulton (1708–1748) and Mary Thorpe.

As for the documents I have, you might be interested in the wills of Matthew Depear senior (1720), and possibly those of Matthew Depear junior (1747/8), and John Depear (1781). You will see in Matthew Depear junior's will that he makes his brother John a trustee and guardian of his children, and also mentions his other brothers Luke and Mark, besides his wife Mary née Thorpe and his first son Matthew, though not any other son. He even mentions the child his wife is carrying (who is later baptised Francis, but dies an infant), and makes a special provision for the case that child turns out to be a boy. Therefore I'm inclined to think his son John born 1745 must have died young despite his burial record missing. Otherwise, the omission in his will is very strange, in view of the mention of an unborn potential son. Your John Depear of Spalding may in fact be the one baptised 06 Dec 1746 in Holbeach to Mark and his wife Susannah, though I'm honestly not sure.

I have some other documents on the Depear family, and a particularly interesting one is a 1719 bill against Matthew Depear senior and his married daughter Elizabeth (b. 1701) by Susannah Mann, his first wife. The bill is by the husband of Susannah's daughter from her first marriage, an inheritance dispute.

I hope that helps, and please feel free to reach out to me privately if you're interested more in any of this.

P.S. I've not yet ascertained with certainty whether the Judith Fisher who married Daniel Depear was a sister of Rebecca Fisher, or for that matter whether Daniel Depear was a brother of Matthew Depear (b. 1669), but I like Ciderdrinker strongly suspect both to be the case. Neither Judith nor Rebecca have a baptismal record, apparently, although there is some circumstantial evidence to suggest they came from a Baptist family, so this would fit.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 February 23 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Some references from "The River Makers" by Trevor Bevis:-

From the Thorney Register: De Lespeire (Lepiere 1685) baptisms from 1659-1701. Sponsors to 1720

It also mentions a Joel Delespierre who left Hatfield Chase for Thorney, to avoid violence from local rioters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatfield_Chase
https://wikishire.co.uk/wiki/Hatfield_Chase

Marriage entries at Sandtoft, near Hatfield:-
Jaques Pinssoy to Susann Leespier on 14th July 1644
Antoine Blancar to Marie Lespiere on 23rd April 1651

Baptism: Sarah daughter of Joel Lespirre and Mary Lermit on 12th March 1654

De Lespierre mentioned as one of the founding families of the Thorney French Church.

David

Offline alexreg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Some references from "The River Makers" by Trevor Bevis:-

From the Thorney Register: De Lespeire (Lepiere 1685) baptisms from 1659-1701. Sponsors to 1720

It also mentions a Joel Delespierre who left Hatfield Chase for Thorney, to avoid violence from local rioters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatfield_Chase
https://wikishire.co.uk/wiki/Hatfield_Chase

Marriage entries at Sandtoft, near Hatfield:-
Jaques Pinssoy to Susann Leespier on 14th July 1644
Antoine Blancar to Marie Lespiere on 23rd April 1651

Baptism: Sarah daughter of Joel Lespirre and Mary Lermit on 12th March 1654

De Lespierre mentioned as one of the founding families of the Thorney French Church.

David

Indeed, that's an a very nice booklet, and it also does a good job of telling the wider story of the drainage schemes of Vermuyden and the history of the Walloon communities in Hatfield Chase and Thorney, as I recall.

The Joel de Lespiere (he moved his family from Sandtoft to Thorney c. 1655) and his wife Marie Lermite, whom you mention, are in fact direct ancestors too. My research indicates that the aforementioned Matthew Depear né Mathieu de Lespiere (1669 in Thorney – 1720 in Moulton) was the son of Jean de Lespiere (c. 1645 – aft. 1672), who was in turn the son of Joel de Lespiere (c. 1620 – 1695) and Marie Lermite. Joel and Marie married in 1642 in the village of Crowle in the Isle of Axholme.

Joel de Lespiere is the earliest known ancestor of the family, and must have been born on the continent, likely in the Pas de Calais. Given the later presence in Sandtoft of two or three De Lespiere women of the same generation as Joel, I very much suspect that they all came over as children with their parents and were among the first settlers (supposedly in 1626/7). Unfortunately, that's more or less where my knowledge of the family ends, for now.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 10:27 GMT (UK) »
The book is well worth having and is available online. Just search on "The River Makers"

I don't know if it applied elsewhere or earlier but, around 1700, my wife's Huguenot ancestors recieved refugee benefits in London, and gave their origins as Poitou in France.

There was a Matthew De Pere who married Rebecca Fisher in Moulton, Lincolnshire, on 10 July 1704, who had a son John Depear in 1710. Although a bit earlier, there was a Mathieu De Lespiere born at Thorney in 1669

Baptisms at Thorney: Parents Jean and Ester Iserby/Yserby
Mathieu de Lespiere 4 April 1669
Jean De Lespierre or Lespiere 21 Jul 1672
Joel de Lespierre 10 Jan 1674
Mathieu Yserby 21 Jul 1663 son of Mathieu and Ester Pinchion

Other similar surnames:-
Thorney: Parents Daniel and Anne Le Roy
Daniel De Lespierre 30 Oct 1692
David De Lespierre 28 Oct 1694
David De Lespierre 25 Oct 1695
Jean de Lespierre Or de Lespiere 19 Dec 1697
Benjamin De Lespierre 17 Dec 1699