Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending 31 July  (Read 5093 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending 31 July
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 18:47 BST (UK) »
On Sunday I just missed the bus for Church.  I was  near the stop and put my hand out for the approaching bus but it sailed by.
A kind ??? man in a nice car pulled in at the bus stop and said he had seen what had happened and offered to give me a lift.  I declined as politely as I could.  He seemed thoughtful and kind but it wasn't worth the risk.  A similar thing happened to me before covid but that time I had gotten in strangers' car when a bus failed to pick up and I was offered a lift.  Mind that time, passengers were a man, woman and little girl.  My son had been aghast when I had told him later.  I did think afterwards I shouldn't have done it but I tried to make it sound slightly better by pointing out there had been a child in the back. Son had said "Mam, Fred West had kids in the back!" Point duly taken.
I was late to Church and it was difficult to find a seat.  Ended up near the front but I prefer near the back.   
SiL came in the evening.  She left her phone accidentally at my house and only realised when I was seeing her off at the bus stop.  I said I would run back quick and get it.  She has a bad leg and cannot move fast.  Darn it, a seagull flew low at me but despite feeling nervous I kept running through the park with unbrella up and was able to get SiL her phone.  Then later on return through park on my own, a gull was making a racket and flying too close for comfort so this time I did a back turn and went the long way home round the streets.
The gulls kept their distance yesterday when I went to and from work.  It was raining last night. They have also kept their distance today when I went out on my day off. :)
Re Putin I think he has some nerve to call other places 'unfriendly'!  What label would he give himself for attacking a peaceful country?!  I have long given up on expecting any sense to come out of his mouth.😒
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 19:44 BST (UK) »
Just to say I actually made it to Switzerland last Thursday after a rather fraught week. The previous Friday I passed out in the bathroom and hit my chest around the sternum area on something, radiator knob I think, my back on the loo, my elbow and chin on something. I was tested for all sorts in A&E but no cause round, then X rayed  and eventually allowed home. I asked if I could still go away on the Monday and was told yes.

However between having a very sore chest, the heat and being asked not to travel due to the heat I postponed going to London  until the Wednesday, stayed over in London and left on Eurostar on Thursday. Eurostar was on time but the TGV to Basel ran 62 minutes late as they kept telling us. Arrived in Basel I was glad to just walk out of the station and into my hotel. Then on Friday I was even more pleased to reach my final destination of Meiringen.

I was astounded to receive a telephone call from a consultant in the bit of A & E I was in that they want to do a CT scan of my chest when I come home. I’d had a telephone call about a CT scan whilst on my way to London and had rung back to find out why. It seems weird to me that it was never mentioned in A&E and I asked if I should go back but was told no.

Anyhow I’m here now enjoying the mountains and being a bit more careful then I perhaps would normally be as my chest is still sore and has a wonderfully coloured bruise. I had 3 day local cable car card included in my hotel cost so I’ve had a lovely time riding up and down them with walks in between viewing the flowers. Today I visited a local gorge and waterfall both looking spectacular dur to the storm we had last night.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 19:53 BST (UK) »
That's great that you have made it to Switzerland Gibel.  It sounds like where you are will be a scenic and wonderful place to recuperate.  If you have a camera and know how to add these on here I would love to see any photos.  I'll try not to get too jealous but I'm not promising! ;)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 19:58 BST (UK) »
Re cats apparently they are repelled by coffe grounds which is easier to obtain than lion poo !!

And citrus peel?
Cheaper than lion poo :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 20:41 BST (UK) »
Happy to hear you got to Switzerland, Gibel, even if there were roadblocks along the way.  Sounds like a wonderful place to visit.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 21:57 BST (UK) »
Gibel
Wonderful  you finally made  your trip  long awaited.

So sorry  about your fall, hope you get good results from your scan  but enjoy Switzerland till  you return

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 22:17 BST (UK) »
Dressgate!!
Well the final day  has  come, our granddaughter's graduation in Sheffield, I had actually decided  not to wear either of the dresses I had bought, found items I already had, this morning it had  been very overcast and cold,  so I decided not to wear these items but to wear something more weather  appropriate,  navy trousers, white top and a jacket navy with a slight  pattern on it and brand new shoes, we  had to stand or walk quite a bit but the shoes were a bad idea, fortunately I took a spare pair of shoes which I changed into. When I looked at other women's clothing I need not have worried about what I was to wear, been a wonderful  long day, it is amazing how many students had qualified and were  moving on , so dressgate is ended now,  many thanks to all who had offered  suggestions
I am off to bed  now feeling exhausted

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 22:25 BST (UK) »
Bearnan, it must have been interesting to see the baton relay live, it came through here but I relied on the news photos, was too early for me!

I'd heard that about the cruises Brigid  - seeing the world while being looked after, sounds great.  :)

RTL, that was very brave of you to face the gulls to get the phone for your SiL, well done. Maybe now they're getting the message not to mess with you! Let's hope it's the end of their antics.

Oh Gibel, you have been in the wars! Great to hear you made it to Switzerland and what an adventurous way to travel. It sounds lovely, enjoy the rest of your stay.

LM - Ah the vagaries of the British weather! Glad to hear you decided on something you were comfortable in (except the shoes!). No doubt the dresses will come in for another occasion.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 23:13 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping it will be the end of their antics Roobarb ..
This morning I saw a couple of tilers on some scaffolding on the house opposite and there was a gull on the roof watching them.  And I was thinking "Ohhh!".😱  However, the tilers didn't seemed bothered and the gull kept its distance. Also from my window I can see the bulk of the park over the low wall.  I watched some people come and go through seemingly without a care in the world and the gulls didn't bother them.  I have been wondering if they have been picking up on my fear?  Perhaps not surely, but I have been wondering if they are that clever? ???
So today when I went through I tried to walk calmly repeating in my head mantra type things like 'Be calm .. everything is alright'.  And it was! :D (Yesterday, I just put it down to the rain.  They do seem better behaved in extreme heat or the rain.)
Will be trying that again in the morning when I leave the house at 0620 for work.  Hope they will continue to behave themselves if I can continue to pretend to be brave ..  ;)