Author Topic: Jewellers in Wood Green North London early 1900s?  (Read 537 times)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jewellers in Wood Green North London early 1900s?
« on: Tuesday 26 July 22 16:14 BST (UK) »
Does anyone with some knowledge of Wood Green local history know if there was a jeweller's shop situated in the High Road or vicinity, by the tail end of the 19th century? My 2x great-grandfather Charles Newton was a "diamond setter" throughout his working life and moved with his wife and family to Noel Park some time in the late 1890s or early 1900s (they were in Bury Road by 1901). I would really like to be able to discover whether he worked locally, or travelled to Ward's Stores at Seven Sisters Corner to work in the jewellery department there. I got all excited when I realised that he had lived just a couple of streets away from Ward's Corner (Pelham Road, Tottenham), before the move to Noel Park, only to discover that Ward's only opened for business after 1901. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jewellers in Wood Green North London early 1900s?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 19:34 BST (UK) »
have you thought of looking at 1921 census that gives place of work  he may have always worked at same place
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 20:34 BST (UK) »
 I've not yet accessed the 1921 census yet - waiting until it becomes available for free, if I can hold on that long, otherwise I'd spend the fortune I don't have - so don't know how much detail it would actually provide about occupations. If it gives the actual name of the person's employer, then it would definitely be worth it, if not, I'm back to square one, sadly.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 20:39 BST (UK) »
Unless you find him on a census actually living on the same premises as his employer - you will not get that info

On the 1921 he will probably be with his wife/family with the same occupation & you will be no further advanced
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 21:41 BST (UK) »
 well all 1921 census I have taken out has the actual address of employer for example
Great grandfather was an omnibus driver and his garage was given now I am sure he didnt live there!
the address for family themselves is found on filmscript at bottom of page.
I cannot guarantee that you will find employer only that I have been lucky and found it on mine.
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 21:56 BST (UK) »
Good point - not having looked at any 1921 entries myself I assumed it was like earlier ones

www.rootschat.com/links/01rpq/

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 July 22 22:43 BST (UK) »
I can see adverts in the newspapers for a jewellers in Wood Green. One advert was from October 1900.

It's an F Pattison, Watch and Clock Maker, Jeweller and Optician, 17 Hardy Terrace, Jolly Butchers Hill, Wood Green.

The earliest I can see it mentioned is April 1899, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't there longer, just that is the first advert that I personally can find.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 03:52 BST (UK) »
Re: move to Bury Road

Children
Henry, Grace and Jessie were all baptized at St Mark, Noel Park 22 November 1895 abode 5 Bury Road

Frank Ernest baptized 1898 also of 5 Bury Road

Possibly moved between 1885 and 1889.
Charles W 1882 and Grace 1885 births registered Islington, Jessie 1889, Henry1895  and Frank 1898 in Edmonton

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 04:09 BST (UK) »
By 1917 they are at 42 Russell Avenue son Frank Ernest died 5 May 1917 France. WWI age 19

Although father Charles has died daughter Jessie at age 38 married Stanley Douglas Robinson(44) on  18 August 1928 St Mark Noel Park. She gave the same address 42 Russell Avenue.