Author Topic: WILLIAM BRIGHAM (b 1897 in Sunderland)  (Read 8300 times)

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM BRIGHAM (b 1897 in Sunderland)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 July 22 11:48 BST (UK) »
It looks as though that child was registered in MQ 1941 not 1942.  I put in dates 1940 to 1944 and that was the only one using Brigham and Archer.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Jim Webster

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 July 22 11:57 BST (UK) »
Apologies her birth year was Q1/1941 which would suggest he was around in mid 1940.
I like Carole's thinking especially when you take into account William and Isabella's final child came along in Q1/1947. Think I will leave this branch until I can speak to her personally.
Moving onto William's mother (Mary Ann Goodwin ??) next but will create a new topic for her as I have hit another brick wall with her.

Offline Lahana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 November 22 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

I’m new to Rootschat and navigating around the site, but noticed you are researching my Brigham/Goodwin ancestors for your wife.

Dear Uncle Billy is thought of fondly by my family - he was my Dad’s uncle. 

He definitely fought in WW1.

We kept in touch with his daughter Molly for many years - lovely family. Where is your connection?

Feel free to message me

Offline Jim Webster

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 November 22 21:33 GMT (UK) »
My father-in-law was Molly's brother Albert Allan Brigham, he passed away in 2015. Molly attended the funeral with her siblings. We visited Molly whist she was living in Murton on several ocassions.
I have sent a private message which should have my email address for direct contact.
Jim

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 November 22 22:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if Lahana will receive your private message.  If I recall correctly you need to have made three posts or replies before you can receive or send a message.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Jim Webster

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 November 22 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure if Lahana will receive your private message.  If I recall correctly you need to have made three posts or replies before you can receive or send a message.
Thank you for your comment. I'll wait to see if they reply to the post

Offline Lahana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 November 22 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the posts on here and the private message.  Yes, apparently I am unable to PM reply to you until I have made 3 posts… so this is my 2nd, once I have a 3rd I’ll send you a PM also 

If you aren’t aware of much of the history and connection to Holy Island and Yorkshire I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised - we easily trace the history to 1724… John Brigham a Landowner and Master Mariner - there is a group of enthusiasts who have been researching for some time

Offline Jim Webster

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 November 22 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lahana
I first met William and his wife Isabella 47 years ago and always known of the Holy Island connection.
There is a family bible but I have not been able to see it. I believe it contains a list of family members.
I'm relatively comfortable with my tree going back to James Brigham (b1801). I also have some best guesses going back to Robert (b1765), John the 2nd (b1729) and John the 1st (b1685) but it would be interesting comparing it with yours to confirm or delete these. I think there is also a link to a public house on Holy Island but cannot remember why.
Jim

Offline Lahana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 December 22 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lahana
I first met William and his wife Isabella 47 years ago and always known of the Holy Island connection.
There is a family bible but I have not been able to see it. I believe it contains a list of family members.
I'm relatively comfortable with my tree going back to James Brigham (b1801). I also have some best guesses going back to Robert (b1765), John the 2nd (b1729) and John the 1st (b1685) but it would be interesting comparing it with yours to confirm or delete these. I think there is also a link to a public house on Holy Island but cannot remember why.
Jim

Hi Jim, I sent you a private message yesterday, you might not have seen it yet. I have photos of the pages of the bible as a family member went and saw it for me (I don’t live in England). That James Brigham born 1801 was baptised 1 week after his grandfather John Brigham was buried, both at Holy Island.  John died at Fenham and his body was taken back to Holy Island. John’s mother was Eleanor Ord Hope Brigham; we think the Fenham connection is with the Ord family, John’s cousins… but that is still to be explored. There is so much history it’s great. John had a very interesting life, as did his father the first John Brigham, the Master Mariner.  Don’t necessarily believe he was born in 1685 in Welwick; it’s quite possible (and there is definitely a Welwick connection) but only assumption at this stage - I know there are a lot of people randomly posting it to their tree

Our James Brigham (Billy’s father) experienced tragedy in his life. Are you aware his brother John died at 14 years old in a horrific accident at Usworth Colliery - it’s not surprising James stayed well clear of the mining industry