Author Topic: Distinctive and unusual road/shop sign in photo, London late 1940s  (Read 1453 times)

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Tracing Welsh/Irish roots from Asia with no money!
    • View Profile
Re: Distinctive and unusual road/shop sign in photo, London late 1940s
« Reply #45 on: Friday 05 August 22 09:21 BST (UK) »
The only remaining doubt I have that the corner shop with the Players Please sign is number 353 on the Harrow Road / Great Western Road corner is that the windows on my second photo and the Mrs Norwell photo are bricked up.

But now I'm not so sure. On the GoogleMaps Street view they're windows with just two panes, one upper and one lower, which reminded me of similar old sash windows. Do I detect a hint of a horizontal line halfway up each window in the two old photos ? Remembering mazi's comment about seeing reflections of other buildings (reply 24) I think that may be the case here. If so then I think we've nailed the location.

I've attached side by side comparisons of both photos against the streetview, plus the location on a 1950 map from https://www.theundergroundmap.com/
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)
Mallow, Co.Cork: BROWNE (1895-1935)
Caher, Co.Tipp: BROWNE (pre1895), PURTELL(pre1895)
Cashel, Co.Tipp: FANNING (pre1886)
Llanelly, Carms: GRIFFITHS (pre1934), REYNOLDS (pre1901), WILLIAMS (pre1934)
Ton Pentre, Glams: LEWIS (pre1901)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 05 August 22 11:24 BST (UK) »
I think particularly in your photo, as opposed to Mrs Norwell, I can make out a horizontal line across the window. And they might look as though they're bricked up because the blinds/shutters/curtains are closed.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 05 August 22 12:03 BST (UK) »
To be honest I had settled on it being Harrow Rd / Great Western Road quite a few postings ago. I don't think the bricked up / not bricked up point matters all that much as bricked up windows can easily be opened again later. The reason for my certainty is an architectural feature not so far discussed, namely the change in levels of the window lintels marked on this image, and in particular the distinctive solid lintel that looks like it may be made of concrete rather than stone.

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 05 August 22 15:57 BST (UK) »
I'd say that's conclusive then on the location. Apparently it's known as Maida Hill Junction or Maida Hill Place.    :)

Looking at the 1950 map from theundergroundmap.com again I see Our Lady of Lourdes and St Vincent de Paul (RC), on the south side of Harrow Road (from 1882 to 1970 the church was a French Gothic Transitional-style chapel according to taking-stock.org.uk). So maybe they've just got off an eastbound 662/664 trolleybus and are heading for the church. Everything fits nicely.  :)

Back to the original sign then. We now know it's attached to a trolleybus power cable pole in front of number 478 (a bank according to the map) on the north side of Harrow Road, or possibly 476a, 476, or 474a (probably shops, but I don't know what type). I wonder if that might give somebody any clues ? Personally I'm still stumped.  :-\

(I've attached the same side by side comparison of the sign that I used in reply 26 so you don't have to go looking for it. Full photos in reply 16 and reply 20)
Most roots researched back to the early/mid 1800s. Years noted as 'pre' refer to my direct ancestors, although I'm interested in any relatives:
Mitchelstown, Co.Cork: CORBETT (pre1935), SWEENEY  (pre1935), CUSACK? (pre1894), KEYS? (pre1894)

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 05 August 22 17:19 BST (UK) »
could sign be Halt at Major Road Ahead

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Friday 05 August 22 19:50 BST (UK) »
could sign be Halt at Major Road Ahead
If you look back at the first couple of pages of this thread, the idea that it was any kind of road sign was ruled out earlier on. Furthermore the photos show traffic lights on the juncttion of Harrow Road and Great Western Road, and there would not be a halt sign where there were traffic lights.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Friday 05 August 22 20:19 BST (UK) »
If it was on the trolleybus power line pole, maybe it was some kind of instruction for drivers or conductors? - double-sided like an ordinary bus stop sign so they could see it from any angle. However, I've tried looking at trolleybus sites but haven't seen anything remotely like it.

Another possibility might be a warning to the general public of overhead power lines, but again, I haven't seen anything similar.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kob3203

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 06 August 22 09:45 BST (UK) »
I've finally found a couple of old photos (search term "london trolleybus sign") with a sign attached to a trolleybus power cable pole.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rtw501/31050383731/in/photostream/

https://flashbak.com/evocative-photos-of-london-trolley-buses-in-1962-their-final-year-370543/

So my sign is probably public service information or advertising.

(Crops of the signs from the two googled photos attached just in case the photos vanish in future)

I doubt we'll ever work out what my sign is actually for, but I'm more than happy with what we've discovered - we even know the exact location! Thank you to everybody who's chipped in on this.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 06 August 22 13:37 BST (UK) »
Kob,

I know you said you didn't do Facebook so posting the image on the London Transport Museum facebook wasn't an option, but you could send it to them as a general query since it seems it is trolleybus related, and they do have a vast archive of old posters. Details here: https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/contact