Author Topic: McSorley's from Kilskeery  (Read 436 times)

Offline Bowman6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McSorley's from Kilskeery
« on: Thursday 28 July 22 22:08 BST (UK) »
I've traced a large number of McSorley family members back to the late 18th century / early 19th century and they were largely centered around Kilskeery, Trillick, Moneygar etc.  A number of similar trees exist on Ancestry showing a branch of McSorley's descending from Thomas McSorley and Mary Bridget Sweeney.  A lot of these trees show their children as William (1790), Francis (1791), John (1795), Michael (1796), James (1797), Owen (1800), Terence (1801), and Hugh (1805).

To be honest, I can't tie any of this back.  The only names I have touched on with my research are Owen Mansfield McSorley (1800) and Hugh McSorley (1805) and nothing gives their parents names.  In fact, based on my research I would be doubtful Thomas was the father's name.  Does anyone have similar research that can corroborate?  My suspicion is that someone threw some similar names together and others blindly repeated.

Would love to know where this family info originated as it seems to be beyond my grip with internet sleuthing.

Offline liscoole

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mary Hall nee Nevins 28-9-1914 - 16-3-2011
    • View Profile
Re: McSorley's from Kilskeery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 22 15:07 BST (UK) »
It may not be much help but you could try and see if the names come up in the 1766 religious census. The diocese of clogher is recorded there.

https://www.virtualtreasury.ie/item?isadgReferenceCode=NAI%20PRIV%2FM%2F2476%2F(D)

Not sure if that link will work, but the site is www.virtualtreasury.ie

It only lists heads of households but you might get something out of it.
Good luck.
MAGEE (Dungannon Tyrone to Shankill Belfast, to Whitehouse Co Antrim,) HALL (Lisnaskea, Fermanagh to Yan Yean, Melbourne Australia) McIVOR (Whitehouse, Co Antrim), McCULLOUGH (Markethill, Armagh), DEMPSTER (Ballymena, Co Antrim to Belfast), CUMMING (Glasgow), EVANS (Llandysill, Montgomeryshire to Belfast), NEVIN/ NEVINS (Ballynahinch, Co Down to Belfast), EMMS (Kingston Upon Thames, Surrey), HURREY (Yan Yean, Whittlesea, Melbourne), FINLAY- Jane, of Co Down, m James McIvor 1867. HOBSON Tyrone