Author Topic: Looking for help to find baptisms burials at the Methodist Church griffydam  (Read 478 times)

Offline the oracle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Can someone help me to find out where I can get the information on christenings burials and marriages at the Methodist Church Griffeydam  thanks sue
Holdstock, Hertfordshire Datchwood Haywood, Luton Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Sampson,Shoreditch Cambridgeshire Royston witham,Wright,Nottingham
 Witham,Leicestershire Barrow upon soar
Hodges Witham, Bird Giffydam witham hodge Leicestershire
  Holmes. Payne Leicester

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help to find baptisms burials at the Methodist Church griffydam
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 July 22 15:48 BST (UK) »
Findmypast has the baptisms. Is there a particular name?

David

Offline the oracle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 July 22 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi David
Looking for William hodge or any witham as my grand mum lived in the house next to the church
 Do you know where I can find burial  to as all my witham family should be buried in the cemetery
  The sue
Holdstock, Hertfordshire Datchwood Haywood, Luton Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Sampson,Shoreditch Cambridgeshire Royston witham,Wright,Nottingham
  Holmes. Payne Leicester

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 July 22 10:33 BST (UK) »
One of my wife's relatives was baptised at the Griffydam Chapel, although she lived in Coleorton, where there was another chapel.

Unfortunately, I can't find any Hodges or Withams in the Griffydam records.

My wife's stepmother had an ancestor, Sarah Hodges born c1794, who married William Bird at Breedon. In the census, she gave her birth place as Griffydam, although I can't find the baptism record. The nearest was in Worthington, but in 1800.

There was a William Hodges, son of James and Frances, baptised in Coleorton in 1782. I am not sure about burials.

David

Offline the oracle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 July 22 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi David  my William Hodge was born1801 Worthington he married Amelia. Had a son William Hodge born 1848 who married Hannah Bird her father was called Thomas Bird. My grandma was called Sarah Hannah  Hodges 1866  late married my grandad Tom witham  and lived at the graveyard at the tenta Griffey damn I know she is buried in the graveyard just wanted to find out where she and her children and my grandad are all buried there one of her sons we found he  head  stones but by someone offer Griffey damn history Society have been to Griffydam lots of times but never asked my mum where it was at the time where she buried thanks sue  have to keep looking
  Holmes. Payne Leicester

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 July 22 09:56 BST (UK) »
One of my wife's relatives married a Hannah Bird of Worthington but she was born earlier, the daughter of Matthew and Elizabeth.

I can't find anything about the burials, but I did find this:-

There is an article about an inquest following a fatality at Coleorton Colliery in the Leicester Daily Post 17 December 1910. It mentions "Thomas Witham, of Griffydam, gave similar evidence."

This map shows the chapel and burial ground: https://maps.nls.uk/view/114592338

David

Offline the oracle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 August 22 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi David
Thank you for your help would you know if Osgathorpe baptisms because it says on the 21st census my mum was born in   Osgathorpe always thought she was born in Griffeydam have find 1st to children’s baptism it says that all the others were born in Osgathorpe any way thanks for your help if you know where I can get this information thanks sue
  Holmes. Payne Leicester

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 August 22 09:57 BST (UK) »
I can't find any of the baptisms in Osgathorpe but the Leicestershire Archives in Wigston might be able to help.

You may have seen the following:-

In Barrow for Thomas William baptised on 12th December 1897, and Ruth Matilda, born on 16th May 1900 and baptised on 26th June 1904.

Quite a few Electoral Register entries, including:-
1910 has Thomas Witham in Loughborough Road, Osgathorpe.
1921 has Sarah Hannah, Thomas and Thomas William in Griffydam.
1931 has, Florence, Sarah Hannah, Thomas, Frederick and Joseph in Griffydam.

School Register at Osgathorpe Church Of England School:-
Thomas Witham, born 7th November 1897 admitted on 10th April 1909.
Fred born 5th April 1900 on 18th April 1910.
Alice Witham, born 29th January 1903, admitted on 29th January 1903 (?) and left district on 4th June 1913.
Hannah born on 30th April 1904 admitted on 17th May 1909
Sarah born on 30th April 1905 admitted on 12th January 1910

David

Offline the oracle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 August 22 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi David
Thank you for all the information that is my family did you get it from findmy past  so I do   Now have some date have to go Wigston to find out  about my mum she was Doris Matilda witham born 1917 she on the 1921 census  thanks again sue
  Holmes. Payne Leicester