Author Topic: Diary Summary week ending 7th August  (Read 4422 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary week ending 7th August
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 04 August 22 22:46 BST (UK) »
Jeff, thank you so much for the photo of the gorgeous wombat - they’re one of my favourite creatures. I’m sure this one will be well cared for before sending him on his way.

They are unique animals (reverse pouch and square poos) and so so cute to boot!

If you are able to, watch the documentary “Wombat Boy” https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4167654/

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 04 August 22 23:22 BST (UK) »
Yes those athletes and indeed any disabled people amaze me.
How positive they are and how they help others is an inspiration.

Well ,what a day!
A month ago my eldest son advised me to take out an ISA with Nationwide.

So I transferred some money to a different account with TSB,one which I could get a bank draught from them to get the ISA.
I was also advised to take an existing ISA with Lloyd’s and transfer that to a new ISA with Nationwide.
This was July 6 th.
Since when I have heard nothing.
I went into Lloyd’s to ask and surprisingly the old ISA was still with them.
Hours of waiting at Nationwide to say about the ISA still with Lloyd’s ???
Was assured “these things take time “
So waited nearly another week, phoned N/wide yesterday,told to be patient ,
back today and waited and waited ,eventually a real live person!
But ,they could find no paperwork ,no Banker’s draught ,nothing to say the ISA was in place ,and no record of the banker’s draught!!!
I have a receipt but it says “ cheque” ,I am to phone Bolton branch ( why..) and Bury branch tomorrow. ….?
They have used my old address, not lived there since December 2016
Very worrying , not sure if my insurance will cover that.
I got so angry, why should I phone ,their mistake !
So I phoned The Police ,not sure if I left it too long I could not claim .
They will phone me tomorrow.
My son was a bit unhappy about the banker’s draught, felt it ought to have been made out to Nationwide, but was overruled!
So what a day ,mind you I had my trousers on back to front yesterday !

I can’t tell black from navy ,got a clean pair ,navy, label to the back,then chucking them in the washing last night ,realised on that pair the label is at the front ,so did not find that out until last night!!!
I have to put B or N on the label in marker pen .
I mean, it would not do for me to have black pants with a navy T shirt!
I had to resist the urge to walks backwards all day!
It is a good job I did not get run over or someone might have tried to turn my head round ( as per The Fivepenny Piece ,Oldham Folk Singers )
Oh,someone turn the clock back please.

Off to bed now, or else I will be up very late watching Morse.
Viktoria.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 05 August 22 03:40 BST (UK) »
You’re hilarious Viktoria.  ;D

On a serious note, I hope you manage to sort out your banking problems.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 05 August 22 06:42 BST (UK) »
Yes that's worrying when money involved and hope you get peace of mind and sorted with that.
Dark navy and black distinguishing an issue I have with a few items in basic gear, always have to hold one up against the other. I also had to laugh with the trousers as I did it myself only today with a pull on pair of warm knit fabric pants, no tag in back or front only one lower on side though I should have noticed the raised seam wasn't down the front but didn't until I went to put a hanky in the pocket some hours later  ::) Odd sort of day in a way one way or another with comings and goings round here, lawns are looking ship shape having been done today.

Sort of keeping up with just highlights of the games, been a good few for NZ, certainly as you say inspirational with disabilities in the competitions.

You have every right to be proud of your nephew and of course your granddaughter, LM . I hope you have some nice photographic record of her special achievement and of you together at the graduation along with the memories of being part of her day.

Well done your d-i-l Jeff, quite something of an epic delivery to remember as described, great closeup of the big baby and showing the different paw which will be so recognisable when watching any progress, not sure if WIRES gives updates on that.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 05 August 22 14:07 BST (UK) »
Having started this weeks diary I’ve been woeful in further posts!
It’s now hard to catch up and comment on everything that’s been posted so I’m not even going to try 😢.

Monday was an enjoyable day with friends visiting Ely Cathedral and the Gowns and Crowns exhibition there… not many people so we were able to have a good look at the exhibits and feel some of the fabrics..😱.
 They ranged from the TV show The Crown to Young Victoria, The Kings Speech and lots more. All beautifully made and fabrics chosen were interesting. The one that stood out the most was the Queens coronation dress worn by Claire Foy… from a distance it looked very real… on closer inspection the designs were printed on and then beads to represent the pearls, diamonds were stuck on.
Having seen the actual dress on display at Buckingham Palace which was breathtaking to say the least this one was a very good copy indeed.
The most stunning exhibit for me was the Bog Oak table that was on display…quite a stunning piece!
I don’t know how to link a web site but for anyone interested just put in to Google
Thefenlandblackoakproject.Co.uk you will be able to see it and read about how it came about.

my OH decided to surprise me and we went away for the night on Wednesday to Kent, on Thursday (our49th wedding anniversary) we visited Hever Castle… it’s somewhere I’ve wanted to go to for about the last 50+ yrs and he always said he’d take me….  better late than never 😂😂.
I’ve always been bonkers about the Tudor era and as this area was near where he lived as a boy he knew it well… having spent a week at 15/16 doing his Queens Scout expedition the place had left a lasting impression on him…
It was a wonderful day and the castle didn’t disappoint it having been renovated in 1903 by William Astor..
the gardens were wonderful too,we were amazed that the rose gardens looked so good with an abundance of flowers and not a droop in sight! Testament to the gardening staff.

Well after the weeks excitement it’s back to normal now with the mundane!

Take care all, and thoughts with all those who are in need of special thoughts..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 05 August 22 15:51 BST (UK) »
Oh dear Viktoria, what a worry, hope you sort it out

Yes, you still keep your humour going

I am going on a trip to Hythe tomorrow, the local bowls team are playing and they have spare seats, I don't play, was there a few weeks ago but the game was cancelled, they chose to go on from Hythe to Dymchurch, although we went and had a look at the train we didn't have time to ride on it, not sure how long we will have between drop off and pick up after the game tomorrow but it will be a ride out

Funny old day, keep having these strange days , sunny, comes over cloudy and nothing happens, still no rain, it isn't so hot today, but a bit humid in between

I was going to teat myself to a foot soak today but I don't think I have time,

Not a lot going on here, so will wish you all a nice weekend

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 05 August 22 20:25 BST (UK) »
Were there any artefacts to do with Anne Boleyn.?Hever  was her childhood home.

I have ridden on the little Railway ,a lovely journey,way back in about 1968..Took the boys over onthe Ostend /Dover  ferry for new shoes - no width fittings in Belgium.
Winter outfits etc.

Funny day, sunny ,then  violent showers ,then sunny again.

Policeman called re the lost cheque ,lost by Nationwide, I said NATIONWIDE .just in case N A T I O N W I D E ,They are cheeky beggars ,making me do all the phoning!
He said it is not fraud as yet , but if no documents are produced ,they can go in to the branch and view the CCT cameras, honestly,I would have had my hair done had I known we were on camera,!
Policeman also phoned my son, the one who was with me at the time, and said it all to him.Why I don’t know,anyone would think I was forgetful .

So as yet I am not too worried,.
What I am not worried about I can’t remember!
So that is OK,I think?

Great excitement today ,Brown ANDGreen bins emptied  AND ,a roll of food waste bags left on Brown bin.

Shopping tomorrow , might have chicken on Sunday ,whatever I cook will have no taste.
I don’t know how I brought up the son  here at the moment but his choice of vegetables is limited and we had variety when he lived at home.
Green beans ,but has just said he does not mind sprouts, those are the only ones he seems to like.
I showed him a carrot the other day ,but he went pale!
He will never grow up to be like his Daddy,who was 5’7”,perhaps a tad more (this son is almost 6’.)
My two grandfathers were tall ,my Dad just 5’9” but father in law was only 5’6” .
I am 5’2” and shrinking fast.

Well the big metrolopops of Rammy tomorrow, Not sure I can stand the excitement ,what lost cheques and Rammy, too much all together.

Hope all are well, and looking after themselves.
Cheerio,Viktoria.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 05 August 22 23:09 BST (UK) »
Caroline, Hever Castle looks stunning! And you can stay there! One to add to my “to do” list I think.

Speaking of stunning, that bog table, oh wow! Looks like a project that your son would have liked to be part of. Very beautiful. Thanks for telling us about it.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 05 August 22 23:26 BST (UK) »
Claire Foy was Anne Boleyn in "Wolf Hall". I recall her last scene was imagining herself back at Hever. Was that in the TV adaptation of "Wolf Hall"?
Cowban