Author Topic: Watson sisters  (Read 8978 times)

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watson sisters
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 August 22 14:59 BST (UK) »
Shanreagh & Lucy2, that was me. I could not find any definitive sign of Annie & Isabella in Australia anywhere. Then I saw the passenger lists and thought I would try NZ. Looked at death records and cannot locate them. Its especially hard with Annie/Anna as her actual name is Rosanna but she seems to have always gone by Annie. The name Watson is very common in Australia &  New Zealand so its hard to know which may be which. I only found John Watson as I saw he had middle name of Gilmour so I chanced my arm.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 August 22 22:29 BST (UK) »
Shanreagh & Lucy2, that was me. I could not find any definitive sign of Annie & Isabella in Australia anywhere. Then I saw the passenger lists and thought I would try NZ. Looked at death records and cannot locate them. Its especially hard with Annie/Anna as her actual name is Rosanna but she seems to have always gone by Annie. The name Watson is very common in Australia &  New Zealand so its hard to know which may be which. I only found John Watson as I saw he had middle name of Gilmour so I chanced my arm.

I am sure that I participated in a thread about the Watson women but the 2021 thread was the only one I could find.  We have Watsons in our tree.  Greeneyedgirl would you have put a thread on another forum such as the Trademe (NZ) genealogy forum when it was going?  Now just for my own edification in case I really am going dotty!

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 August 22 22:45 BST (UK) »
No I didn't. My first post was about Robert Watson & his family on the Australian forum a few months back. Does anyone have any suggestions about how I might go about finding this family and its members in Australia and New Zealand with such common first and surname??

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 05 August 22 05:47 BST (UK) »
No I didn't. My first post was about Robert Watson & his family on the Australian forum a few months back.

greeneyedgirl .... FYI  ... you have had three threads re: this WATSON family :

*  on Scotland Board - 3 Nov. '21
*  on Australia Board - 29 Nov. '21   .... both are headed "WATSON Family".
*  and this one NZ Board - WATSON sisters - 2022.

You can easily check to see what you have posted previously ... and it's a good idea - and also a courtesy to those here who are prepared to help you - to provide links to threads that include information provided on the same topic or subject matter, which appear on other RootsChat Boards.

To check for your previous posts :

>    click on "Search" on the brown-coloured bar on the RootsChat home page (at top of this page).
>    enter the name of / or topic, you want to search for
>    then add your "RC username" ... and then click on the "Search button" .

Re:   Robert WATSON
:   It's been some eight months since the thread began on the Australia board.   It seems to have been about the WATSON family in general - to which some info on Robert and his emigration was added.     I think it would be a good idea for you to re-read that thread and refresh your knowledge, because it seems some assistance you've been given there, can be followed up on.

~   Lu

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 August 22 02:52 BST (UK) »
Lu, yes you are right I did post on both the Scotland & Australia boards. Mea Culpa. I have followed each & every lead I have been given. I found every bit in Scotland, received info about Australia & then NZ and tried both those boards, as I thought maybe someone who has much more experience than myself in those countries' records may find a lead I wouldn't know about. I didn't realise it would cause a problem. My understanding was we all help each other in areas where maybe we may know records better. After years of looking for this family I was excited to maybe finally get somewhere.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 August 22 06:17 BST (UK) »
greeneyedgirl ... your Reply #  22

An explanation :   :)

The links I gave about your previous posts re: WATSON family were intended to be helpful.

The Australia Board thread
:   Yes I can see you have done some follow up on advice given.   There was also mention that "to advance your search, you may need to purchase (WATSON / GRAYHAM) death records".   Perhaps that's a "next step" ?

In the AUS and SCO threads, details were given (link was provided) to Robert WATSON's emigration application of 1949 in which he had stated he had three sisters (Mrs GRAYHAM was named as one), and a brother, already living in Australia.   
Q :    Is it probable then that the other two sisters in AUS at that date, (1948-1950) were Annie and Isabella ??
-----------
I found every bit in Scotland, received info about Australia & then NZ and tried both those boards, as I thought maybe someone who has much more experience than myself in those countries' records may find a lead I wouldn't know about. I didn't realise it would cause a problem. My understanding was we all help each other in areas where maybe we may know records better.

^   I'm not sure what you mean by "problem" ?

Re :   The New Zealand Board :
Please understand that because in a sense you are searching forward - into fairly recent history (from c1924 in this case),  some records are not always available to us > and particularly so,  working as we do in an online forum.

Generally our "expertise" and/or knowledge of our local records, serves us very well when searching into the past (which is bascially the 'theme" of RootsChat).   
And I can tell you that the helpers on the New Zealand board work especially hard to try and deliver results, suggestions, advice, etc.
Sure, helping "each other" - when we are able to do so, (and remember it's all done on a voluntary basis), is what we endeavour to achieve.
But those seeking help, should not have unrealistic expectations about what information can be provided.

Your request here hasn't been ignored ... a number of RootsChatters have looked at the thread ... and some have contributed.     I can assure you that if there were immediately identifiable records in the New Zealand system for these WATSON sisters, then that information would have been posted to your thread.

~  Lu

Edits to text (for clarity) :