Author Topic: Ministry of Pensions Hospital, Dunston  (Read 1733 times)

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ministry of Pensions Hospital, Dunston
« on: Friday 05 August 22 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I've just discovered my Great Great Uncle, William Isaac Carruthers (subject of this thread https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=804023.0) died in the Ministry of Pensions Hospital in Dunston on the 1st of Dec 1938.

He lived in Elswick very close to the cemetery there so I presumed that is where he would have been buried. I have used the links and tricks Ticketty Boo shared (thanks Boo) but can't see him listed in the Con or Uncon registers.

I haven't come across the hospital before and was wondering if anyone knows if they had a specific burial ground they used for exsoldiers who died there?

Thanks a lot,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ministry of Pensions Hospital, Dunston
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 August 22 14:51 BST (UK) »
Dunston Hill Hospital, according to this page:
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=1261

Was originally established as a War Pensioner Hospital at Castle Leazes, Newcastle. In 1928 it was moved to Dunston Hill. Controlled by the Ministry of Pensions until 1953 when it passed to the control of the Ministry of Health.

Can't find anything to say it had its own burial ground, but with two big civil cemeteries in Gateshead I suspect if he was buried in the local area it would be in one of those - but he's not showing in their registers. Nor is he in the name index for Elswick.

Newcastle Libraries have the local papers on microfilm , Newcastle Evening Chronicle not online for this date either go and check them to see if there is a death notice which may tell you the burial place

OR use the enquiry form,  from the link on this page: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=1261

Give them the details and ask if they will check the newspapers for you, give them the name and date of death and usually any notice will be within a week of that.

Do bear in mind that West Road Crematorium was in operation in 1938 and though the majority still chose burial its possible he was cremated.

Boo

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 August 22 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Boo,

Thanks for the help, this family is proving really elusive, they are not on the voters register at the address he supposedly lived at, they just don't want to be found.

I'll try Newcastle Library and see if they have an announcement but if they stay as well hidden I'm guessing not.

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 August 22 16:40 BST (UK) »
There is an In Memoriam notice for him in 1939 - so that is a good sign that there may well have been a death notice.
Newcastle Evening Chronicle 1 Dec 1939. page 2 col 2

In Memoriam
CARRUTHERS (late Meldon Street) - Loving memories of William, died December 1st 1938
Only those who have loved can tell
The pain we feel at not saying farewell
-- Always remembered by his wife Jennie and his dear daughters Vera and Lilian

Regarding the electoral registers, with no clues as to how long William was hospitalised, there's a possibilty that Meldon St. was his last residential address but if he'd been in hospital long term then Mary Jane/Jennie and the children may have moved to a smaller, cheaper place or moved in with relatives as money would be very tight?

Boo

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 August 22 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot, that's a great help.

I hadn't thought of the long term hospital scenario, that would fit.

Michael

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 August 22 17:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot, that's a great help.

I hadn't thought of the long term hospital scenario, that would fit.

Michael

Well its not writ in stone, just a possibility.
I still like baby steps :-) let us know if you manage to find a death notice and maybe we can take it from there.
I know that the Library has some burial registers on microfilm, so if you find a death notice and it mentions a cemetery, check while you are there to see if they have that one.
(from experience the Library struggle to deal with remote enquiries regarding cemetery registers, though they may now have got the hang of it).

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 10:15 BST (UK) »
Evening Chronicle - Saturday December 3rd 1938

'CARRUTHERS.- At Dunston Hill Hospital, on December 1st, aged 45 years, William Isaac, son of James and Mary Ann Carruthers, late of Meldon Street.  Interment at St Nicholas Cemetery, Monday, at 2.30 p.m.; cortege leaving the residence of his sister, 244 Wingrove Avenue, 2.15 p.m.  Friends please accept this (the only) intimation.'

At St Nicholas Cemetery, Fenham he is buried in Section W plot 199
Buried on 5 Dec 1938.  There is a 'p.' next to date and a number above date 1114 which might suggest this was a purchased plot.  Burial cost was only 5/ though so this might not be certain.

I have put this on Find A Grave but would be happy to transfer memorial to you if you wish.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 11:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much River Tyne Lass, that is brilliant.

Do you happen to know if there is a map for this cemetery in the library? I'd love to go up and find his grave.

Thank you again,

Michael

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 11:48 BST (UK) »