Author Topic: Birth records of THOMAS BISHOP 1764 of Wootton, Oxfordshire and mystery coin  (Read 352 times)

Offline NickPB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Big stab in the dark here but I'm wondering if anyone can help with my search.

My GG Grandfather, Thomas Bishop, was born in 1801 in Wootton, Oxfordshire. The Wootton baptismal records record him as being the son of "Thomas and Anne" and has siblings Edward, Lydia, Siley, and Jane. We're confident to here.

Looking at the Oxfordshire Marriages I can see a "Thomas Bishop" marrying an "Ann Egglestone"
 (spelling of her name varies depending where you look) from Steeple Barton, in 1790. This is the only "Thomas" who comes from Wootton in the 'correct' date range, so I think this is him. You might ask why I think he comes from Wootton, and this is where the mystery coin comes in.

The family has, handed down over the years, a George II halfpenny coin which has been inscribed with the text "Thomas Bishop born April 3 1764" on one side, and "Wootton Oxon" on the other side. We can't be certain that the text was added at the time, however I'm not sure why someone would do this without prior knowledge.

I've searched everywhere I can think of to find out more information about Thomas but have drawn a blank. Maybe I have missed something obvious. I've been over it so many times it wouldn't surprise me.

I have a website at www.thebishopsonline.co.uk It's not entirely up to date but close enough. I've also taken the liberty of making an assumption about his ancestors in the hope that someone will notice and challenge me. Not very scientific but it has worked in the past.

It would be nice to go back some more generations, but I'm not holding my breath. Thanks in anticipation of any replies, and good luck with your research.

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth records of THOMAS BISHOP 1764 of Wootton, Oxfordshire and mystery coin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 11:03 BST (UK) »
Can't see a baptism but the National Burial Index has a burial in Wootton in 1836 for a Thomas Bishop aged 72 which gives a yob of 1764. Also a burial for Anne Bishop born 1761 buried 1837.

I can find a baptism for Ann Egleston 25 November 1764 in Steeple Barton, which is only 3 miles  from Wootton. Parents Thomas and Mary Egleston.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline NickPB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Birth records of THOMAS BISHOP 1764 of Wootton, Oxfordshire and mystery coin
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 14:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks emeltom, that confirms what I have found. Sadly, trying to find further information is proving nigh-on impossible.

I appreciate you looking up the details. Thank you!

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 August 22 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi NickPB,

Have you considered that the "Wootton" could be the Oxon parish as aginst the Wootton in Berks?

I see that Steeple Barton and Aston are neighbouring parishes.
These records are available to view on Ancestry if you have a subscription.

I did look at the Berks Wootton but found no "Bishops" at all.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 August 22 08:43 BST (UK) »
Looking at Wootton Oxon, can't find Thomas in 1764, but there is a William bapt 31 Aug 1766 s/o Thomas and Martha Bishop, maybe a brother?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 August 22 08:46 BST (UK) »
James bapt 18 June 1769 s/o Thomas and Mary Bishop at Wootton
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline NickPB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 August 22 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi NickPB,

Have you considered that the "Wootton" could be the Oxon parish as aginst the Wootton in Berks?

I see that Steeple Barton and Aston are neighbouring parishes.
These records are available to view on Ancestry if you have a subscription.

I did look at the Berks Wootton but found no "Bishops" at all.

Alan

Thanks Alan. It is definitely Wootton in Oxfordshire.

Nick

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 August 22 11:26 BST (UK) »
The Wootton, Oxon registers for burials in 1764 record that the rector, Rev John Carey was buried on 19th April 1764, there is a note to say that he was succeeded by the Rev John Banks, but no date when that took place. Maybe there was a period without a vicar so that Thomas had to be baptised elsewhere, or there was a temporary fill-in who forgot to record the baptism. A birth on 3 April, might be in line for a baptism about the time the rector died or shortly after. 

Offline NickPB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 August 22 12:07 BST (UK) »
Looking at Wootton Oxon, can't find Thomas in 1764, but there is a William bapt 31 Aug 1766 s/o Thomas and Martha Bishop, maybe a brother?

Thanks LizzieL.

Yes, that's what we would like to think. Interestingly there are 9 children born to "Thomas and Martha" in Wootten between 1728 and 1772. Obviously not all to the same "Thomas and Martha" but the only son called Thomas was registered in 1731. So hard to distinguish between similar names at that time.

One theory is that Thomas (1731) was the son of the first Thomas and Martha, then went on to marry another Martha and continue the line. Who knows? So few records.

Thanks again,

Nick