Author Topic: I think my 2nd great grandfather was a bigamist  (Read 23408 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: I think my 2nd great grandfather was a bigamist
« Reply #27 on: Monday 05 September 22 05:59 BST (UK) »
Annie, the only url I see when I’m at ancestry.com is…..ancestry.com in the url spot.  I can follow instructions fairly well.  If you tell me how to drag relevant portions of my tree over here for all to see, I will strive mightily to do so.
I don't know how to 'drag' info. to here but it wouldn't help much as it's the info. from certs. which are important.

What is the exact info. on the BC of Minnie M Brown?

You're looking for answers to questions you've already answered in your own mind but without any real proof.
It's good when going through our family history to 'imagine' different scenarios &/or when typing up a 'family history', I guess the odd thoughts of our own can make it more interesting (to others) but you seem to be using your own thoughts as 'fact' & adding them in where & whenever possible which doesn't help.

I'm going pass on making any further comments as I feel you have your mind made up about what you think is 'fact' & until you purchase all necessary documents/evidence prior to making your mind up then as far as I can see, you're in checkmate.

I'd also like to add, although FAG has always been a good resource over many years, in more recent years it's become a 'free-for-all' & not anywhere near as reliable as it was & can't be used as 'fact' nor can indexes or transcriptions be used as 'fact'.

Good luck,

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 05 September 22 07:51 BST (UK) »
I think I’ve lost the plot (not surprising for me).  ;D. But, maybe this helps?

Burial information for
Henry Brown. Born 24 Jan 1852, Ohio.
Died 2 Aug 1927, Charlotte, Eaton County, Michigan
Cemetery - Woodland Union Cemetery, Van Wert, Van Wert County, Ohio
Wife - Rosa Katharina Brown

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01rte/

Burial index for (I believe this is for the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery you referenced earlier)
Henry E. Brown, index page 23
Included on index page 23
Jane, John, John A., Louise and Thomas J

https://ohiomemory.org/digital/collection/p16007coll33/id/150205/rec/18

If I read your posting correctly, the above burials are for the two Henry’s you mentioned.  So, not only would it be impossible to die twice, it would be a little far fetched to be buried in two locations?  :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 05 September 22 08:09 BST (UK) »
Have you tried contacting the cemetery offices?  Some office staff will (are permitted to) give details of those interred.  When I made inquiries, I explained my relationship to the deceased, explained that it was only for genealogical purposes and gave them the name, birth and death dates.  I also explained that I could not visit the (Canadian) cemetery in the near future as I was located in California.  A few offices were understandably not permitted to give out information but others very kindly provided burial information that I did not have (deceased’s exact place of birth, and in a couple of instances after I mentioned additional names they confirmed others who were buried in the same plot).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 05 September 22 08:55 BST (UK) »
Excuse me butting in......
I don't have a sub for Ancest*y BUT, haven't I been reading that the "through lines" can be very misleading?
Please someone correct me if I am wrong as I don't want to be sued!!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 05 September 22 08:57 BST (UK) »
I think I’ve lost the plot

If I read your posting correctly, the above burials are for the two Henry’s you mentioned.  So, not only would it be impossible to die twice, it would be a little far fetched to be buried in two locations?  :-\
Thank you Lisa!

I just loved your pun  ;D

This also emphasises the query previously raised of a middle name/initial or lack of...

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 05 September 22 09:00 BST (UK) »
haven't I been reading that the "through lines" can be very misleading?
Please someone correct me if I am wrong
Yes!...& more so when wrong info. is attached to trees.

Annie

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 05 September 22 10:39 BST (UK) »
Excuse me butting in......
I don't have a sub for Ancest*y BUT, haven't I been reading that the "through lines" can be very misleading?
Please someone correct me if I am wrong as I don't want to be sued!!

As Rosinish said, yes indeed. No need to worry about saying and 'being sued,' as Ancestry do actually, in effect, state this twice at least on https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/article/AncestryDNA-ThruLines page, it's just that far too many folk don't seem to read and/or understand same. So, whilst Ancestry have done their bit to warn folk,  I do think it is not enough and that  they need to have a very prominent warning on the actual ThruLines home page too (although still too many users would likely ignore it  ;D ).
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 05 September 22 15:22 BST (UK) »

Apparently, the theory is that everyone from the doctor who reported the death to the grave digger was paid off to pretend Henry died, so he could dump his first wife and go with his 2nd secret family.  Instead of just disappearing from his family, which was not unheard of in those days, he spent large sums of money to bribe people and buy a cemetery plot in order to pretend that he died in an insane asylum. 

Or it could be that two men with the same utterly common name of about the same age existed within the state of Ohio in the same time frame.

Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct one.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 05 September 22 16:39 BST (UK) »

Burial information for
Henry Brown. Born 24 Jan 1852, Ohio.
Died 2 Aug 1927, Charlotte, Eaton County, Michigan
Cemetery - Woodland Union Cemetery, Van Wert, Van Wert County, Ohio
Wife - Rosa Katharina Brown

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01rte/

The Eaton Rapids Journal