Author Topic: Moulbrasehill  (Read 452 times)

Offline Kavill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Moulbrasehill
« on: Wednesday 10 August 22 16:14 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Moulbrasehill means anything to anyone? It’s from a St Cuthbert’s, Edinburgh baptism entry from 1768 “James Simpson skinner in Moulbrasehill & Mary Peat a son John born 14th inst witt”.

The nearest I can come up with is Braid Hill to the south of Edinburgh, but that wouldn’t explain the Moul!

Many thanks,
Keith
Willats/Willatts-Wokingham and Reading, Fletcher-Binfield, Wheeler-Binfield, Clark-Feering, Willett-Leicestershire, Simpson-St Lukes London, Woollass-East Yorkshire, Coggrave-East Yorkshire, Duffill-East Yorkshire, Kavell/Kavill/Kevill-East Yorkshire, Fletcher-Ryther/Kirkby Wharfe/Appleton Roebuck, Trotter-Green&Kirk Hammerton/York

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moulbrasehill
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 17:00 BST (UK) »
Had a look at the image and wonder whether it could be Moulbrasekill??  Not that I can see where it is  :-\

Kay

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 17:07 BST (UK) »

Offline Kavill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Kay, well done. I’d also considered if it was kill rather than hill, but the h does seem to match others on the same page.

Maybe it started out as Mulberry Hill? Just a thought!

Keith
Willats/Willatts-Wokingham and Reading, Fletcher-Binfield, Wheeler-Binfield, Clark-Feering, Willett-Leicestershire, Simpson-St Lukes London, Woollass-East Yorkshire, Coggrave-East Yorkshire, Duffill-East Yorkshire, Kavell/Kavill/Kevill-East Yorkshire, Fletcher-Ryther/Kirkby Wharfe/Appleton Roebuck, Trotter-Green&Kirk Hammerton/York

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 August 22 17:30 BST (UK) »
This is another site re the hill     

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rr4/

Kay

Offline Kavill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 August 22 08:06 BST (UK) »
Some interesting bits and pieces amongst that. It mentions that French weavers tried unsuccessfully to produce silk there. Digging around I came up with this from The Scotsman:

“It is also written that the workers began a plantation of mulberry trees on the slopes of nearby Moultray’s Hill - later giving rise to the name of Multrees Walk between St Andrew Square and the St James Centre in 2003. However, the likelihood of the French migrants being responsible for this plantation is also shrouded in doubt.”

So perhaps Moulbrase, one way or another, does have a mulberry connection!

Keith

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 August 22 08:36 BST (UK) »
Very interesting - I lived with a stone's throw of it many years ago and had certainly never heard of it

Kay