Author Topic: New to Me! (Quebec records)  (Read 2230 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
New to Me! (Quebec records)
« on: Wednesday 10 August 22 21:58 BST (UK) »
I was born in Quebec before there was any civil registration, at least I thought so.  My baptismal record (Anglican) served as a birth certificate until I had a little plastic card issued, in the 70's I think.  Today I was searching for a relative who went from England to Utah to Montreal and possibly to Manitoba.
I looked at the Drouin collection for baptisms for three children born in Montreal and found none, but I did find a civil registration at Montreal City Hall - and this was in 1891!  It then twigged that the family was Baptist and Baptists do not do infant baptism. 
I did not find the other two children, though, born 1885 and 1887/8.
Learn something every day!  I started on Quebec genealogy in the early 80's and never knew that a child could be registered at city hall.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: New to Me! (Quebec records)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 August 22 21:36 BST (UK) »
Interesting and good to know.  I also was not aware of this.  There are likely other religions who do not do infant baptisms who would register their children at the city hall.  Can I ask for a link on how to research the city hall records?  Thanks.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 August 22 21:47 BST (UK) »
Am not sure if I am allowed to put an Ancestry link here.  However, if you have a subscription for Canada or World, you can go to the catalogue and just search "Drouin", which will bring up, about 5 or so down the page, the Quebec church records (don't be deterred by the claim that they are in French, most of the Protestant records are in English).  I had put in the individual's name, looking for a baptism, and that came up.  Am not sure if you can search that section separately unless by going through it manually.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 August 22 22:01 BST (UK) »
I think the collection has been on Ancestry since 2008 but they've added a lot more in the last couple of years.

Most of mine were Ontario and west, so I've not used it.

I remember Chinakay using it a lot.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 August 22 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  I've used it alot but wasn't aware there would be civil records included.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 August 22 22:33 BST (UK) »
I've been using it for many years too, and had never seen a civil record.