Author Topic: 21st Regiment  (Read 874 times)

Offline sossle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
21st Regiment
« on: Monday 05 September 05 16:25 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me anything about the 21st Regiment.
I have an ancestor who wasa soldier in the 21st regiment in Bengal in 1892. He was from Glasgow.
I think I have found an entry for him taken from RSF Long Service & Good Conduct Medal Roll in 1909.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
             Sossle

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 21st Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 September 05 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Sossle,
I can only find reference to the 21st Regiment Scots Fusiliers who's district was Ayrshire. On their battle honours there is no mention of India!
There are other 21st Regiments including the Royal Engineers.
Really need to know what group the 21st were part of?
Do you have any furhter info?
Brian1
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 02:07 BST (UK) »
hiya sossle,the 1st battalion was in glasgow in 1891 then they went to shorncliffe camp in 1894,then in 1896 they sailed for india [ sialkot ]
the 2nd battalion was stationed in india in 1888,doing duty at cheratt [1890]and sialkot [1893],if he was in the RSF then he must have been in the 2nd battalion,brians right about there being no battle honours,they were on garrison duties,in 1897 they took part in the tirah campaign,then they were replaced by the 1st battalion and sailed for home,check the army pension records at the N/A,long service medals mean a pension,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline sossle

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 September 05 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info.
I think he was in the 2nd battalion, 21st regiment.
The info I have is from a poor law record for his parents saying he was a soldier in 21st regiment in Bengal. That was February 1892.
I have info from Royal Fusiliers Museum Glasgow of an entry taken from RSF Long Service & Good Conduct Medal Roll for William Haddow Colr/Sgt. 1909 which looks as if this could be him.
Does anyone know what the uniform was like that they wore?
Thanks Sue

Offline fordy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 September 05 15:57 BST (UK) »

This may be of help - from the Army List 1893 - your man isn't listed as there are only officers in these lists, but the Regiment information might be useful.

Regards,
David Ford.