Author Topic: DNA match  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Gavsmum

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA match
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 18:44 BST (UK) »

Thank you so much for that.  I now know that this match may not be a half sister or 1st cousin which is what Ancestry says.  I have no idea who it is though but I will study your attachment.  It's so annoying that this person doesn't answer my messages but she is obviously not a member of Ancestry anymore.  Her age isn't given or anything about her really although her first name is Haydon which, in this country, I understand is a boys name. 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 18:52 BST (UK) »
That's a pity but I think it might be worth focusing on the shared matches that you have with her/him. 

Concentrate on that group and see if there are any clues there. Message the closer ones and work through any trees that they may have.

There are other 'apps' that you can use when you've got more info on them.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gavsmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 20:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you very, very much, you have been a great help and I will follow that advice.  Can I ask what these apps are please?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 20:52 BST (UK) »
Here are a couple but I think you should do the basic examination of your shared matches first.

https://familytreewebinars.com/webinar/what-are-the-odds-an-online-tool-that-can-help-solve-dna-puzzles/

There is also the Leeds Method but U think you are too close a math to use it

https://www.danaleeds.com

It might be worth reading some of the threads on this board to see what others have done.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 21:33 BST (UK) »
If I've found the correct match, given the info on first name only, it doesn't look as if the person has been on Ancestry for quite a while. You could keep sending messages, the erson might eventually reply.

However,  I think you might have to work from your shared matches.

:-\

Gadget

PS - do you live in the same city as me?

Offline Gavsmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 22:07 BST (UK) »
Her full name is Haydon Judd.  Sorry I should have said.  Thank you for the other information I will have a look at that but as you say, I will get information together first.

I live near Newcastle upon Tyne.

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 22:20 BST (UK) »
have you looked at freebmd there is a birth on there, and FindMyPast try electoral roll 2021
but dont put anything else cos they may be living and we shouldnt use living names
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 August 22 04:44 BST (UK) »
I now know that this match may not be a half sister or 1st cousin which is what Ancestry says.
The relationship given on ancestry is only a guide, probably worked out by all your shared matches' info. & on an average of cMs?

You have a 1, 618 cM match, given as 1st cousin

I have a 578 cM match, given as 1st cousin

Unfortunately our relationships can't be given as 100% precise as the amount of cMs / DNA distributed across / down generations can vary so much.

I have worked out my match is likely to be closer than 1st cousin but like yourself, no reply to my messages although my match has been online recently (in the last month)!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Gavsmum

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 August 22 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie

Thank you very much for that information, very interesting.  It is very annoying when they don't answer.

Lindsey