Author Topic: Lucy Annie Wise b. 1870 & An Encounter with the Drift Road  (Read 903 times)

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kirtland (Oxfordshire Windsor, Berkshire)
Lipscombe (Longwick Berkshire, Maidenhead)
Marsh (London, Monksweirmouth, Durham+Berks  Bucks, Wokingham
Reynolds (Buckinghamshire Stoke on Trent)
Green, Stoke Poges
Brown (Co Durham, Windsor, Wokingham)
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lucy Annie Wise b. 1870
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 17:53 BST (UK) »
Ď Go on Nifty1 dare you to take your finger out Ď

Right! You asked for it.

btw. The saying is ĎGet your finger outí. ;)

This post is undergoing modifications that I hope will give a representation of the.incredible changes that are transforming the English countryside into what looks to me, judging my the virtual map representation, previously posted of the Drift Road where I spent much of my childhood living at three different addresses within two miles of each other. I those days, almost for its entire length it was bordered by Windsor Great Park, large county estates, (whose history I have an interest in preserving, extending upon and broadcasting, hence this wicked post) farms and open farmland. Looking at the map to those who can remember a time before the 1950s it may look as if some form of cancer has overcome the land.
If anybody can add any relevant info I would be grateful.

My mothers sister, Beryl Kirtland, b. Windsor 1926 married a Market Gardner called William Lewin in 1956 and for a few months they lived at 15 Saint Leonardís Road Windsor and then emigrated to Melbourne, Australia with him. They secured a house at Geelong

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geelong

But, it seems, Beryl did not take to the Australian way of life and she missed her family.The couple returned to England  aboard the Orsova via Vancouver; Los Angeles; Auckland; Sydney; Melbourne; Fremantle; Colombo; Aden; Port Said and arrived at Tibury on 13th December 1960.

When we were living at Home Farm, near Winkfield, I remember helping my mother make paper-chain decorations with strips of gummed coloured paper that were available from stationers. We decorated a tree that I think may have been purloined from Windsor Forest which was just over the Drift Road. We fastened a model of a Christmas Fairy at the top of the tree ( I found it among my motherís possessions when I attended her cremation ceremony in 2011, it seems that it must have been of sentimental value to her) also glass balls and thin strips of silver foil that I had found at the back of DOWís laboratory which was accessible by walking across the fields of the farm.
There was great excitement at the farm at Christmas 1960 many of the family were due to attend a celebratory party that was held to mark Aunty Berylís  return. The house was very crowded and I recall having to sleep with my cousin whose family my mother had taken me to see in Germany where her oldest brother was an NCO serving as part of BAOR. My cousin's mother was Irish Catholic. She had worked for the NAFFI before the war and Uncle Len had met her while he was serving in the Tank Corp at Bovindon Camp in Dorset about 1938. At the party auntie gave many souvenirs that she had acquired her voyage and told be about some of the quaint customs that were adhered to by passengers on the ship. Apparently, as they passed over the equator all the men were supposed to shave using ice cream as shaving lather.
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geelong
One might say that I am a bit of a sentimental hoarder. I still possess them.
To be continued: Donít hold your breath ;)
Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 18:27 BST (UK) »
btw. The saying is Get your finger out.

Pedantic
to pronounce/pɪˈdantɪk/

adjective
excessively concerned with minor details or rules; overscrupulous.

John ;D

Offline Nifty1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 August 22 03:56 BST (UK) »
I struggle to be concise but sometimes get gat a bit lost.
When I was a teenager late mother told me a lot. Some of the phrases that stick in my mind -
Ď You are just like himí
I was never clear about who he was, also, during moments of argument
Ď You have always got to have the last word Ď

I donít struggle much these days, though sometimes,
getting out of bed has ranged from impossible to challenging.
Green, Stoke Poges
Wilson (Eton)
Wise