Author Topic: Eleanor Taylor - Francis Tate- Matilda Tate  (Read 698 times)

Offline DNichol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eleanor Taylor - Francis Tate- Matilda Tate
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 August 22 06:08 BST (UK) »
Regarding Eleanor Taylor

I have a theory but that’s all it is at the minute. I took the John Brood link above and couldn’t really find anything but did find a John Bird in St Margaret’s     at that time, then found a marriage of an Eleanor Bird to a William Taylor in St Margaret’s in 1817, William was born in 1794 and died in June 1826. Possible to remarry 4 months later to Francis Tate?

There is also a birth record for Elioner Bird for 1800 in Cosby Leicestershire.

I also found a record to suggest that Eleanor Taylor and Francis Tate remarried whilst in India in 1833, possibly because Francis was so young at the time of the first marriage?…

Which brings me to Francis….

I’ve found a record of a Francis being born to a Joseph and Mary Tate in Leicestershire on 8th June 1810, but when I look at ancestry with those parents he’d be slotting into a family tree with many siblings that seems well researched so might be barking up the tree with that one.

What a puzzle.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 August 22 14:55 BST (UK) »
I'm not seeing that 1833 marriage in the records on FamilySearch or the British India Office records on Findmypast. The 1826 marriage was by banns, so even if Francis was under age at the time, it would still have been legal.

Their daughter Elizabeth married William Jenkins 7 March 1859 in Rawal Pindi.

Possible burial in Rawal Pindi 5 Jan 1866 Ellen Cullen died of apoplexy 4 Jan, no relatives mentioned.

The British India Office records are all in the same hand, so a copy made by a clerk. John Brood could be a transcribing error. Certainly no apparent Brood records in Leicestershire at the time.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline DNichol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 August 22 15:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information. You've been a fantastic help. Going to continue researching Birds in Leicestershire and hope I come up lucky.

I found the following on Family Search but not quite sure what it means...

Name   Francis Tate
Sex   Unknown
Possible Spouse's Name   Eleanor Taylor
Marriage Date   1833
Marriage Place   Leicestershire, England, United Kingdom
Marriage Place (Original)   LEICESTER, ENGLAND
Event Type   Marriage
Source Collection Title   GRO Chaplains Returns Marriages (1796 to 1880)
Line Number   5
Page   687
Reference   MCHA
Affiliate Publication Title   British nationals armed forces marriages 1796-2005

Any thoughts on the parents of Francis? Possibly a Joseph Tate?

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 August 22 16:26 BST (UK) »
ok, that's in the Army Returns of marriages. You could get a copy from the GRO to see what details it gives. It might be a copy of the 1826 marriage parish marriage was needed to allow Eleanor to go to India with Francis on the strength. The marriage was noted as Leicester. The baptism of Mary Ann in Meerut in 1833 notes her birth as 5 Jan 1833 in Chitenah in Bengal so an 1833 marriage in Leicester doesn't seem possible as they were already in India.

The baptisms of the children of Percival & Matilda were in Rawal Pindi, making the 1866 burial of Ellen more likely.

Not sure about the father of Francis. I would have thought it more likely he was a John and that the first son was named for him.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb