Author Topic: William Moyle O'Carroll, d1538  (Read 290 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Moyle O'Carroll, d1538
« on: Thursday 18 August 22 23:43 BST (UK) »
William Moyle O'Carroll was burned to death in a church in 1538.

I was wondering if anyone understood what the original source for this reference might be.  As far as I know, it is not in the Annals of the Four Masters, or the Annals of Ulster.

My original encounter with this information is from a book called "Contested Ireland." by SJ Connelly (2009), p12, where it says:

William Moyle was eliminated in 1538, trapped in a church that was set ablaze to drive him out.

I am afraid I don't have access to the book, and so can't look to the back of it, and see if it has any additional notes for the chapter that aren't footnotes.  I'm also afraid that I am not anywhere close to a library that might have it.

I am not 100% certain that the event happened within modern Offaly, though I think it probable.  In any event, it was likely in Ely O'Carroll.

I was hoping to learn more about the original source, both to see if it gave any additional details about the event, and to learn whether the source might make any earlier references to a neighboring clans.  Specifically, the O'Molloys.

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Moyle O'Carroll, d1538
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 August 22 00:05 BST (UK) »
Nevermind, I found it.  (Strange that I never noticed it before)

Seems to be from a letter written to Thomas Cromwell, from William Brabazon, the text of which can be read on Google Books, in the book:

State Papers Published Under the Authority of His Majesty's Commission
King Henry the Eighth

The church was in "Ballemgarry", which I think is in Tipperary.