Author Topic: Unknown coat of arms  (Read 2102 times)

Offline GauntOfJohn

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unknown coat of arms
« on: Monday 22 August 22 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I purchased a second-hand t shirt a few years ago and I have always wondered what the crest on it is.

Part of me thinks it is Spanish or Italian but I have no idea why I think this. Perhaps it reminds me of a football crest!

I have attached a photo, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

Thanks.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown coat of arms
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 18:33 BST (UK) »
The coat of arms is either Spanish or Portuguese, as indicated by the round bottomed shield. I would hazard a guess that it is possibly ecclesiastical.   

Either that or an untitled noble - (not The Count of Xxxx, but rather A Count of Xxxx). The father is The Count, and all his sons become just A Count. 

Behind his shield is the Cross of Santiago. This indicates that he was at least a Knight Commander in one of the chivalric orders. 

The charges on the field indicate that he was a Roman Catholic. The Eucharist, the Pole Star and the Temple on the Mount were what indicated to me that he might have an ecclesiastical connection - possibly a Bishop. 

I know of no armorial of Iberian arms, but is not to say that one does not exist. The system used was that each area had its own "Chronista" who would grant arms. They were independent of each other and did not publish their grants. 

Regards

Chas

Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown coat of arms
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 18:48 BST (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />