Author Topic: William Thomas born 1849 Bideford lived Cardiff  (Read 1004 times)

Offline louisem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
William Thomas born 1849 Bideford lived Cardiff
« on: Saturday 27 August 22 10:18 BST (UK) »
I am trying to put together the story of my 3rd Great Grandfather and his children and one son is proving a little elusive, I have part of his story and some guesses, and some gaps.
The son in question is William Thomas born 1849 Bideford to William Thomas (1820 Chepstow) and Mary Ann Labbett (1819 Bideford)
I have William’s childhood 1851 and 1861. The family move to Cardiff early 1850s.
He is missing 1871 and reappears in Cardiff in 1881 married to Margaret Watkins with 2 sons - another William and Tom Labbet. At this point he is a ships carpenter and living in the same household as his brother (also Thomas Labbett Thomas)
He then disappears 1891 and 1901. I believe I have some of his children in those years - the two boys and two later girls - Florence (1885) and Elsie May (1888) At least I think they are his daughters based on later evidence. Florence and Tom are living with their Watkins grandparents parents in 1891, Elsie May possibly with family friends in Cardiff.
Florence and Elsie May are with their uncle Thomas Labbett Thomas in 1901.

My guess is that Margaret Watkins/Thomas dies in the late 1890s, the children go to different relatives and William goes away to work or to sea. He reappears in 1911 working as a shipwright in Blyth Northumberland.

I can find no further trace of eldest son also William Thomas who appears in the 1881 census. I believe his date of birth in that census -1874- may well be incorrect unless Margaret is not his mother as the GRO shows no relevant births.

I would love to pull together the different threads of this family particular William’s whereabouts in 1871, 1891 and 1901. Any help would be hugely appreciated as I am stumped. 
Cardiff- Davies, Thomas,
Forest of Dean/Symonds Yat- Farr
Barnstaple - Symons
Bideford - Labbett
Newcastle Emlyn - Davies
Devonport - Budge, Goodman

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Thomas born 1849 Bideford lived Cardiff
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 August 22 10:24 BST (UK) »
married to Margaret Watkins

When did he marry her?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 August 22 10:27 BST (UK) »
I believe his date of birth in that census -1874- may well be incorrect unless Margaret is not his mother as the GRO shows no relevant births.

Maybe he came along with Margaret?

William Watkins Jun 1874 Cardiff has no mothers maiden name
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline louisem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 August 22 10:46 BST (UK) »
I believe his date of birth in that census -1874- may well be incorrect unless Margaret is not his mother as the GRO shows no relevant births.

Maybe he came along with Margaret?

Thank you. Yes, of course, that could well be the case. I have lost my thread thinking about this family and I am probably not thinking straight. I can’t find a obvious marriage for William and Margaret.

William Watkins Jun 1874 Cardiff has no mothers maiden name
Cardiff- Davies, Thomas,
Barnstaple - Symons
Bideford - Labbett
Newcastle Emlyn - Davies

Offline louisem

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 August 22 10:52 BST (UK) »
They are an unusual family in some ways. William Thomas senior (1820) was a shipbuilder in Cardiff and made a considerable amount of money (£4000+ in his 1889 will) but his sons had varied fortunes. James (1850 Cardiff) became a sea captain and died in 1900 in Hong Kong. I have never found a record of him having married or had children. Thomas Labbett (1855 Cardiff) had a variety of different jobs and ended his days in Broadmoor having killed his wife and been declared insane.
My direct ancestor is Sarah Eliza (1844 Bideford)
Cardiff- Davies, Thomas,
Barnstaple - Symons
Bideford - Labbett
Newcastle Emlyn - Davies