Author Topic: Geneanet trees now coming up as suggestions on Ancestry  (Read 3423 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Geneanet trees now coming up as suggestions on Ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 September 22 00:15 BST (UK) »
I had an Ancestry hint for Geneanet and I did click on it and it turned out to be one of my 2nd cousins 2 x removed.!

His tree is not on ancestry so it was interesting to have a look around the site and see how it works… it’s the only hint I’ve had so far… don’t think it will put me off checking as you never know what you’ll find!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 October 22 10:45 BST (UK) »
Please don't tell me...more rubbish to contend with i.e. trees with wrong info?

Annie
Well, in my experience, they are a little more reliable and carefully researched, partly because they don't have any of the ridiculous Ancestry hints and tree suggestions popping up ;D :o.

I had a geneanet hint today, and looking at the tree, I would also say (at least in this case) it was more reliable than many Ancestry trees, possibly because as far as I know you cannot / could not just copy great chunks of other people's trees whether they were right or wrong.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 October 22 11:05 BST (UK) »
I'm finding it useful
I look at the suggestions ..which as rosin says do seem to be more plausible than Ancestry hints
Then check for documents.
It seems to be particularly reliable for the UTAH  community.

But of course has mistakes too
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 January 23 05:40 GMT (UK) »
I had a message from someone today who find my Geneanet tree through Ancestry hints and she informed.me that she and some of her much alive family members were visible. I haven’t touched the tree for years but somehow the privacy settings had changed. If you have a Geneanet tree I suggest you check your settings. I had similar with Genes Reunited years ago - every time I added anything to it the settings reverted to making living people visible
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 January 23 14:48 GMT (UK) »
I came across one today which offered a potential parent but no documentary evidence so it was ignored.

Is there any place for sources on a Geneanet tree?  I have checked several this morning and although mostly I agree with the element of the trees that I can see I can't find a way to view any sources at all so can't check they are correct?

Is it a case of finding a possible source yourself from your usual sites and just use the geneanet tree as a guide.

As for the previous comment that the son's wife was French, well I think that's because it is in French as it is a French site.  However there is the option to view in English which then anglicises all the names so they appear as we know them.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 January 23 15:12 GMT (UK) »
A distant relation put my personal details on their Geneanet tree and it appeared on Ancestry  for all to see.
They took it down as soon as I informed them. It's worth checking to see if you are there too!
rayard.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 January 23 18:15 GMT (UK) »
A distant relation put my personal details on their Geneanet tree and it appeared on Ancestry  for all to see.
They took it down as soon as I informed them. It's worth checking to see if you are there too!
rayard.
So it’s just happened to someone else- see my reply #12. Funny it’ since Ancestry took over - or just a coincidence. I’ve deleted my tree.

Offline davisd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 January 23 18:28 GMT (UK) »
I've been on geneanet for years. When I had a Premium membership I could download massive numbers of images for BMDs that were original sources. But using their trees as records through Anc is fraught with problems and I think ill advised.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 February 23 02:05 GMT (UK) »
I came across one today which offered a potential parent but no documentary evidence so it was ignored.
Is there any place for sources on a Geneanet tree?
I can't find a way to view any sources at all so can't check they are correct?

Is it a case of finding a possible source yourself from your usual sites and just use the geneanet tree as a guide.
antiquesam...

Not sure why you'd 'ignore' it rather than go looking for it yourself?

Pheno...

From past experience, people copying info. from my tree, I don't ever put my source info!

It's just as easy to copy 'source' info. as it is to copy any other info!

I feel if someone/anyone is genuine they'll contact me to enquire where I got my info.

I'm not paying hundreds/thousands of £s (over 25 + yrs) for Certs. & Subscriptions for anyone to copy & paste my 'source' info. having not spent a penny, simple as that  :P

To me, a Geneanet tree would be no different to an Ancestry/Family Search or any other tree, okay as you say as a 'guide' which can sometimes be helpful but I've never relied on others' research/sources & most 'sources' I've found in other trees are usually from other 'Ancestry trees' although more recently I've come across more genuine researchers (in a particular area of my research) with primary sources attached but I've usually already bought the cert. & verified the info. prior to adding the person to my tree.

I'm not saying I pay for all certs. as I couldn't afford to but where I don't have certs. I do research every available 'resource' & check all details thoroughly to conclude my findings are correct.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"