Author Topic: Looking for a bit of information on George Leslie Whiteman during WWII  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Jason Jase

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for a bit of information on George Leslie Whiteman during WWII
« on: Friday 02 September 22 19:35 BST (UK) »
First off yes I know I can pay money to some British government agency to maybe release his military records to me since I am a descendent of me and he is deceased (No it is not a free service as someone else stated to me) I am not writing a paper on him I just want a general Idea of what he did. (???

Looking for a bit of information on my Grandfather George Leslie Whiteman during WWII
born 8 Nov 1910 Smalley, Derbyshire, England
died 21 May 1960 Ilkeston, Derbyshire, England 22 years before I was born.
his parents were
Frederick Whiteman and
Florence Henrietta  Whiteman nee Hartley
in the GRO his last name was incorrectly spelled as (WEIGHTMAN)

as far as I know my dad and grandmother (ADA nee Doar) were living in Deal (he may of been stationed near there) my dad was born 1 year before the end of WWII and told me a bunch of houses were blown up a cross the street from where he was living.

I don't think George Leslie Whiteman was in active combat from what my dad told me after the war he was evolved in digging up bombs that had not exploded on impact. (since he had a background in coal mining)

I have no Idea what his involvement was during the war or how to find any information on that?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a bit of information on George Leslie Whiteman during WWII
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 September 22 19:52 BST (UK) »
He was in Denbighshire in 1939.  Did you check the 1939 register?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 September 22 20:24 BST (UK) »

WW2 service records are only free to the person them self or their spouse. £30 is the fee for anybody else. The service record will show courses taken, postings, promotions etc.

Your father’s birth certificate might show his father’s occupation, but possibly just as HM Forces.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jason Jase

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 September 22 21:03 BST (UK) »
Ceiriog, Denbighshire, Wales in 1939 as a Public Works Contractor's Pipe Jointer. When they moved to Deal he was a coal miner but his wife wanted him to be a bus drive that didn't pay very well.

My dad being a young man when he die never found out what George did in the war. I haven't seen my Dads birth cert but will have to ask him when I see him next.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 September 22 21:30 BST (UK) »
There is a Sapper George Leslie Whiteman who enlisted in the Royal Engineers on 11 June 1940 and was discharged on 9 Aug 1944. His service number was 193784 and his first posting was to 717 (number is not that clear) General Construction Company RE based in Chatham. If that was him, he may been been detached to the Deal area.

More on the work of the general construction companies here: http://www.researchingww2.co.uk/general-construction-company/

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 September 22 22:00 BST (UK) »
I'm fairly certain this is the reverse of 1930784 Sapper Whiteman's index card. If it is, it shows his subsequent service, all of which appears to have been in the UK.
2 Mil Port stands for 2 Military Port Regt RE (unsurprisingly)
AW Coy stands for Artisan Works Company
CRE is Commander Royal Engineers (that normally refers to engineers in support of a Division or similar formation, in this case Cairnryan; with TN TC I think the TC stands for Training Centre but no idea about the TN bit, and the Y List is the list of unposted soldiers, either while between postings for some reason, or prior to discharge, which seems to be the case here as he's on the strength of 165 Depot Wing TN TC one month prior to his discharge.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 September 22 22:15 BST (UK) »
If Sapper Whiteman is your grandfather, then the reason for his discharge was King's Regs 1940 Para 390 xvi, which means his services were no longer required due to a physical disability, possibly as a result of an injury not caused by hostilities, so for instance, an accident during training. Bear in mind that he was discharged two months after D Day and he appears to have been employed in a unit dealing with military port facilities, like the Mulberry harbours.

Offline Jason Jase

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 September 22 00:16 BST (UK) »
Okay I just looked up What Sapper means. it is a military post. kind of confused at the moment but wiki has a pageon it. Youtube also has videos on it so I am going to look at that a bit more 

Offline Jason Jase

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 September 22 01:04 BST (UK) »
so I tried to find what Y list 4 means
also confusing but as far as I can tell each number indicates a different thing (I think it goes up to 8, I'm not sure) Where 8 would be incapacitated to a degree where one is no long able to perform their duty and is waiting discharge)

user ainslie posted "Y List was I think the means of taking someone off the strength of his unit while sick or wounded, from which he might or might not be returned to the original unit"