Author Topic: A vote of confidence or no confidence in this baptism?  (Read 389 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
A vote of confidence or no confidence in this baptism?
« on: Sunday 04 September 22 22:10 BST (UK) »
I've got an ancestor, Thomas Dolman, who was married in Breedon on the Hill, Leicestershire, in 1778. He was OTP at the time but doesn't appear to have been baptised there. His name is spelled Dalman and Dolman on the cert. He died in 1834 in Coleorton and was allegedly 85 yrs old, so yob around 1749ish.

I'm looking for his baptism. I've found a Thomas Daleman baptised in Melbourne, Derbyshire in 1751, son of Richard and Catherine. His siblings were Francis, Samuel, Catherine, Joseph, William, Richard. He was still alive in 1767, when his father wrote his will (and was Dalman, not Daleman, by then); I can't see any marriages or burials for him in Melbourne after this date.

My ancestor called his children Mary, Joseph, John, Richard, William, Francis, Thomas, Samuel. There's obviously quite a lot of overlap between the two sets of names, which interests me because some of them, whilst not rare, are less common than others. These names are not reflected in the family of Thomas's wife.

I know we can probably never prove or disprove it, but on the balance of probabilities, would you votef for my Thomas being the one baptised in Melbourne?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A vote of confidence or no confidence in this baptism?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 September 22 14:33 BST (UK) »
The places are quite close to each other so could be a good possibility.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 September 22 15:13 BST (UK) »
Seems a strong contender to me, but I see there's a Thomas Dalman who married Catherine Dalman in Melbourne in 1783 - have you identified who he is?
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 September 22 18:35 BST (UK) »
I know we can probably never prove or disprove it, but on the balance of probabilities, would you votef for my Thomas being the one baptised in Melbourne?

I would consider it highly likely, due to the names given to his children.
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 September 22 21:25 BST (UK) »
Seems a strong contender to me, but I see there's a Thomas Dalman who married Catherine Dalman in Melbourne in 1783 - have you identified who he is?

Jomot; no, I haven't untangled the Domans (and all their variant spellings) - but this "Daleman" family in Melbourne seems to have given rise to lines other than the one I'm looking at, so probably he fits in there somewhere. I'm satisfied he's not mine as my Thomas was having babies with his wife Sarah in Breedon in that time scale!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)