Author Topic: McGhee’s of Clydebank  (Read 477 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: McGhee’s of Clydebank
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 23:57 BST (UK) »
The equivalent of Scotlands People for Ireland, except it is totally free  ;) to view images there, is www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

To view the links below you just to tick the 'I am not a robot' box and include your name:

Julia Hamilton's birth in 1870 https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1870/03323/2218236.pdf

Mary's birth in 1878 https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1878/02977/2090724.pdf

Mother Ellen's maiden name looks McAtigart (McTaggart).

From SP, a likely death for her:

Ellen HAMILTON/MCTAGGART
Age 82
Mother's maiden name COLL
Ref 501/ 51
Old or West Kilpatrick

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaddyG49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 September 22 02:57 BST (UK) »
Wow Monica, you are brilliant! Thank you. This certainly looks like my family. It will take some time for me to wrap my head around all this info. Thank you so much.

Offline MrLevity

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 08 September 22 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I tried to set up a free account but the site directs me to various options starting at 7 pounds. Looks like I may get the first month free if I sign up. Is that correct?

Hi Maddy it should be free although you can subscribe or take a free trial I haven't yet but plan on taking a months subscription when I have got all I can find and access for free in place on my tree.  Regardless you can create a free account, I was quite surprised at how much content is available for free.

Offline MaddyG49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 September 22 13:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks again

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 September 22 14:19 BST (UK) »
I have found some of John and Mary's children's baptism records on Find My Past which is easy to use and might be a good starting point for you, although some of the names tend to be in Latin.
They will be in Latin irrespective of where you look them up, because if the transriptions and indexes show the Latin forms of the names, it is because the original documents show the Latin.

Make sure you do look at the original documents because they may and often do contain information that is not in transcriptions or indexes.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MaddyG49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 September 22 14:38 BST (UK) »
Yes I’d forgotten about the Latin. Even my brother’s name was announced in Latin at his Baptism in the 1960’s!