Author Topic: Thomas O. Brien Honara Feathrstone  (Read 865 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas O. Brien Honara Feathrstone
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 19:36 BST (UK) »
Yes, I found that later, Maiden Stone.  :)

Kilkeevin parish shows a gap in marriages 1820-1838.

Athleague shows marriages 1808 -1834
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0537

I have looked at indexes but can’t see George Madden in marriages.

There is a baptism 1827, Athleague for a George Maddin, with parents Francis and Mary so could be a relative. (Family name).
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline riannisuileabhain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 19:40 BST (UK) »
rootsireland has kilkeevin baptisms and marriages from 1804 - 1900.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 September 22 19:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you. And yes there were other children as listed on the emigration log.

Would you please list them with their ages + any other information about them in the emigration document?
Did Mary's husband emigrate? Some husbands emigrated first and sent for wives & children later.
Cowban

Offline glieby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 08 September 22 17:08 BST (UK) »
 I am so very grateful for your responses. This is a whole new trail to follow. Thank you. I apologize for my lack of skill in responding individually to your very helpful responses.

Offline glieby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 September 22 17:18 BST (UK) »
The names of all the children are Catherine 1824, Honora, 1825, Francis 1830, Thomas, 1836, Cecelia, 1839, Ann, 1842. All the children except Frank are listed on the Passenger list in 1851. Husband George is not on the list. Mary's age is listed as 34 with a birthdate of 1817. I think this is a mistake for 1807.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 September 22 18:56 BST (UK) »

Thank you. I apologize for my lack of skill in responding individually to your very helpful responses.

Simply post replies on here as you have done. That way, everyone else can read them.
The Personal Message option is for communicating information which isn't appropriate for the public forum e.g. if 2 descendants of a person being researched want to exchange private information.

The names of all the children are Catherine 1824, Honora, 1825, Francis 1830, Thomas, 1836, Cecelia, 1839, Ann, 1842. All the children except Frank are listed on the Passenger list in 1851. Husband George is not on the list. Mary's age is listed as 34 with a birthdate of 1817. I think this is a mistake for 1807.

I agree that Mary's age on the passenger list was incorrect as Catherine was born in 1824.
Was Mary's marital status or occupation on the passenger list?
Is there any evidence that George was alive after 1851?
Francis, the child not on the passenger list, might have died or already emigrated.
There may have been other births between Honora 1825 and Francis 1830 and between Francis and Thomas 1836.  Also, possibly more births after Ann 1842.
Cowban

Offline glieby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 September 22 01:31 BST (UK) »
I have searched for records of the death of George Madden in Ireland and the US with no results so far. I've also not been able to find either George or Francis on emigration lists. An 1860 census has Francis living with Mary and 3 sisters in NYC. There's no occupation listed for Mary on the passenger list. But on the 1860 census she is listed as a housekeeper. Later her two daughters are milliners and she is a housekeeper. Thank you for confirming my assumption that Mary's age is wrong on the passenger list.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 September 22 13:46 BST (UK) »
I have searched for records of the death of George Madden in Ireland and the US with no results so far. I've also not been able to find either George or Francis on emigration lists. An 1860 census has Francis living with Mary and 3 sisters in NYC.

Civil registration for deaths didn't begin in Ireland until 1864. Church burial registers are fewer than baptism and marriage registers for Catholics. Considering those two things, it's not surprising that you haven't found a record of George's death. A third factor is the countless deaths during the famine years.
Was Mary a widow in 1860?
Does it say on a census how long it was since Francis emigrated?

Cowban

Offline glieby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 16 September 22 00:23 BST (UK) »
I appreciate your information. And your suggestions for searching. Records don't show that Mary was a widow. But the earliest record I have is nine years after she emigrated. I found an Irish Immigrant arrival log from 1848 which matches Francis' birth year almost and the number of years he was in the states from his death record exactly. George was not on the log.