Author Topic: Is this a post-mortem photograph?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a post-mortem photograph?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 September 22 07:09 BST (UK) »
I had not heard that,but seems entirely possible.
Enlarging the photograph shows the baby’s dress has sleeves if a sort,there are crossed over fine bands .
Even young children had “ off the shoulder “dresses years ago.
Queen Victoria’s children in family photographs .

Wonder if the woman was the baby’s mother or grandma .
Poor soul looks very sad.
Viktoria.

It looks to me like the baby is wearing a dress with short sleeves. There is a “bodice” and a slightly gathered skirt, with arm covering where skirt and bodice meet.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 September 22 07:27 BST (UK) »
This is an ambrotype from 1855-1860 (Canadian). The woman in the photo is my g-g-grandmother, Agnes (Moscrip) Jeffrey (1819-1873). I've been told that this might be a postmortem photo…

Here's as much as I know about the woman. Agnes Moscrip was married in ~ 1839 to a John McLenhan. They had 4 children, born in 1841, 1843, 1845, and 1848. In September 1847, her husband and two sons, aged 4 and 6, all died of dysentery. Her two other children survived. She then remarried my g-g-grandfather, Andrew Jeffrey in 1853, and had 4 children with him, in 1854, 1856, 1860 & 1862. I was told by a ambrotype 'expert' that the photo is mid-1850s at the latest. I've not found anything that mentioned a death of an infant

Most of my ancestors were living in Ontario, Canada by 1860.  I’ve found very few births and deaths for them for that time period.  However, if Agnes and her family were in Quebec, you probably have had better success.

Was it common to have a “blank” backdrop?  If not, could this indicate the somberness of the event?

There are a couple of gaps in children’s births in about 1846-47, and in about 1858.
This might indicate an infant death, where birth and death were not recorded, or the record lost.

Is it possible that the infant (perhaps born c1846-47) also died of dysentery and for some reason the death was not recorded?  Losing her husband, young sons and possibly the infant could be a reason for her sad expression.  :'(

Added:  is there something on the fur (I guess it is fur?) above the baby’s head?

Added, again:  looking on the internet, there were a lot of blank backdrops.  Learn something new everyday.  ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 September 22 07:44 BST (UK) »
Added:  is there something on the fur (I guess it is fur?) above the baby’s head?

Remember those furs where the fox's head and often paws were part of the 'decoration' I think that is what is 'on the fur'.  I can still remember my grandmother had one such. Much Later than this, but stil . . . . .   ;)

Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 September 22 07:52 BST (UK) »

Remember those furs where the fox's head and often paws were part of the 'decoration' I think that is what is 'on the fur'.  I can still remember my grandmother had one such. Much Later than this, but stil . . . . .   ;)

Wiggy

Hi Wiggy.  I thought of that, too, as my aunt or mother-in-law (don’t remember) had a fur with all the “attachments”  :-[ but I just couldn’t make out the details.  You’re most likely correct, though.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 September 22 08:04 BST (UK) »
This is an ambrotype from 1855-1860 (Canadian).…

There are a couple of gaps in children’s births in about 1846-47, and in about 1858.
This might indicate an infant death, where birth and death were not recorded, or the record lost.

Is it possible that the infant (perhaps born c1846-47) also died of dysentery and for some reason the death was not recorded?

Thinking about it, if the photo is from 1855-1860, my suggestion of the infant’s 1847 death wouldn’t be possible.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 08 September 22 14:36 BST (UK) »
My Mum had such a fur,a Silver Fix,complete with head that bit it’s tail to keep the stole in place .Glass eyes and little feet with claws.
I took it for the dressing up box at the Training Nursery where I did that part of my training .
Gosh what fun the  children  had.

A bonny baby certainly.
So many infant deaths in those days , sadly.
Viktoria.

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 08 September 22 18:28 BST (UK) »
The lady's left hand appears to be supporting the child's arm, while her right hand holds the child's two hands together by the fingers.
I think it is a PM photo. How sad.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 08 September 22 20:12 BST (UK) »
Ive looked at some strange PM photos where the mother is shrouded head to foot in some fabric and the baby sitting on her knee.Or the mother shrouded again stooping down behind the chair where the baby is sitting.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 08 September 22 22:37 BST (UK) »
They are called "Ghost Mother" photos Hepburn, where the Mother is hidden from view, often hidden under a cover. They are not PM photos though.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU