Author Topic: Looking for Carl Johan Anderson born Sweden 31 Jan 1889 emigrated USA 1891  (Read 27380 times)

Offline otterspotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Carl Johan Anderson born Sweden 31 Jan 1889 emigrated USA 1891
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 18 September 22 13:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
Johan Emil's father was Johan Rahm/Ram:
https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/C0002151_00064#?c=&m=&s=&cv=63&xywh=314%2C1440%2C3600%2C1710

Ian

Hej Ian. I knew that was his father - Rosina's first husband who died quite young - but had not seen this document, so thanks very much for posting. Emil anglicised his surname to Ream once living as an adult in the USA. He had his own plumbing business and made a success of himself and I think it quite likely he may have taken Carl in and maybe employed him; for while at least. I will post an obituary I found.
Manning. Muss. Currently researching Titus Manning Suffolk & Norfolk 17 & 18th C.

Offline otterspotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 18 September 22 13:41 BST (UK) »
You have mentioned this Aunt  Augusta Nelson. Where did she live and die?  Would it be possible that she may have informally adopted him? 

Also you mention the half brother, when did he arrive?  Could Carl have been taken in to this family?

What was his mother's maiden name and did she have any family already in the US? 

Did his father have family already in the US?

Did any siblings of the parents arrive from Sweden after 1891? 

Just throwing this in, in case he took his Aunt's name. 
a Carl Nelson born Sweden 1889 single naturalised 1907 is in the 1920 census as a Private stationed in Germany.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9RN6-LML?i=51&cc=1488411&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3ASP85-DMX

Maybe not died 1968 but born 10/12/1889.

Hi Forgot to answer your question about Augusta. 'Hedvig Augusta Albertina Nilson' (Augusta Nelson) worked for the McComick's in a position of great responsibillity mostly at Riven Rock but also in Chicago and Canada. She was born 1857 in Sweden. Emigrated alone in 1880 and after some years in New York as a servant to a Tea Dealer's family in the Bronx was hired by the McCormick family. She then worked in the USA from 1880 to c 1914. After returning/retiring to Sweden she died 1927 in Sweden. Despite taking a keen interest in her nephews and niece when in the USA, we know she had lost contact with Carl and Emil once back in Sweden. Her niece Hedwig had died in 1922 and Anna in 1904
Manning. Muss. Currently researching Titus Manning Suffolk & Norfolk 17 & 18th C.

Offline otterspotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Carl's half-brother Jack' Ream's obituary and article
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 18 September 22 13:54 BST (UK) »
Here is an Obituary for John Emil Ream which gives some background. He died 1/4/1936 in his home town of Washington Iowa. I note he is known as 'Jack' so possibly Carl John also became a 'Jack' Anderson?
Does anyone have access to USA newspaper archives? Possible Carl (or Charles) John (or Jack?) Anderson also made the press as an obituary...living to a ripe old age perhaps. Note: emigrated 1891 and born 31/1/1889. He could have moved anywhere in the USA once he left the orphanage but Chicago where he had lived with his parents and his big brother worked or Washington Iowa (where his big brother lived from about 1920) are two likely places I feel. But then again, perhaps if he married he moved to wherever his wife's hometown was?

Offline otterspotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 18 September 22 14:38 BST (UK) »
From Swedish Examination books 1886. 
Just has Charlotta rather than Rosina Charlotte.
She is buried at Graceland under Charlotte. 

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QL5S-NHDF

Was Rahm her maiden name or is Johan Emil Rahm a child from an earlier marriage?

Thanks again Shanreagh. Rahm was the name of her first husband who died in Sweden in the 1880s. Did you find any note of cause of Charlotte's death? I suspect it was TB. This image is of Rosina Charlotte, taken in Sweden. She is on far right. Augusta on far left and third sister Anna (who remained in Sweden) in the middle.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 18 September 22 14:58 BST (UK) »
I did check the death database here in Sweden for Carl Johan in case he returned with that dob and names. No hit unfortunately.

Ian

Offline otterspotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 18 September 22 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hej Ian
Thanks for trying. Given the lack of any leads, I wonder now if he may have invented a new birth date for himself; perhaps to join the army, navy or get married.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 18 September 22 16:01 BST (UK) »
She then worked in the USA from 1880 to c 1914. After returning/retiring to Sweden she died 1927 in Sweden.

She arrived back in Kung Karl Parish, Sweden 5 Dec 1901 to live with her father.

Ian

Offline otterspotter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 19 September 22 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hej Ian

Thanks for pointing that out. Yes, she did return in the December of 1901 to take care of her ailing old father Lars but after he recovered we have letters and postcards that show she then returned to the USA from the Spring of 1903 and continued her career with the McCormicks. She returned to Sweden for good 1913/1914.

She also visited home in 1891 which is when her sister's family joined her and emigrated to the USA.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 13 October 22 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hej,
I dug up Hedvig Augusta Nilsson's probate hoping it is of interest. It does state Carl Johan Andersson but no news of him unfortunately.
I have translated the first part. There is more. It looks as though she was pretty wealthy.

1. one major (of age) sister Anna Fredrika nee Nilsson, married to homeowner Johan Erik Olsson in Bårsta in Oija Parish.

2. one deceased sister in USA, Rosina Charlotta Andersson nee Nilsson's 3 children heirs, son Emil Rahm, son Karl Johan Andersson also deceased daughter, Hedvig Andersson's 3 children whose names, age and place of abode are unknown. As per wish their guardian, merchant August Theodore Larsson in Klippan, St. Sundby has been appointed.

3. one halfsister Amalia Sofia Nilsson in Kungsör born 18 Apr 1872, who shared the same father now deceased, of mother and Lars Nilsson's fiance maid Sofia Eklund. Amelia Sofia Nilsson although not of age is deemed of age and merchant Carl Olsson in Kungsör is appointed her guardian who together with Johan Erik Olsson and wife also August Theodor Larsson are all present at the proceedings. The probate was stated under oath by Johan Erik Olsson and wife, Anna Fredrika Olsson and was recorded and valued in the following order:

Ian