Author Topic: Seaman - Olaf Hanson from Norway  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
Seaman - Olaf Hanson from Norway
« on: Tuesday 13 September 22 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hello from New Zealand,

I have been doing research regarding those who were possibly buried at the Camp Bay Quarantine Cemetery located at Camp Bay in Lyttelton Harbour here in New Zealand.

One which I believe was buried there was a man named Olaf Hanson from Norway who died February 25th, 1877. He was aged 26 (born approx 1851). He was a seaman who was working on the Wiltshire just before he died https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP18770219.2.3.2 also https://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-Bre02Whit-t1-body-d2-d8-d18.html I have also attached a record of his death.

It would be nice to find out a bit about him. Who his immediate family was.
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seaman - Olaf Hanson from Norway
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 September 22 05:18 BST (UK) »
I think the name is Hansen rather than Hanson...at least the certificate seems to say Hansen. 

Somewhere in my genealogical travels I have come across a register of seamen, not sure if it was in the Appendices to the Journals of the House of Representatives  (NZ) or if it was a world wide list. 

There are a number of shipping register sites and they may have more info. 

In the newspaper report it said that the Wiltshire has been to NZ the previous year.  The passenger lists may show if he was a serving on board for that voyage. 

Anyway you could search on Family Search to see if his name appears.

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 September 22 05:20 BST (UK) »
He died from Phthisis (TB).

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 September 22 04:50 BST (UK) »
I think the name is Hansen rather than Hanson...at least the certificate seems to say Hansen. 

Somewhere in my genealogical travels I have come across a register of seamen, not sure if it was in the Appendices to the Journals of the House of Representatives  (NZ) or if it was a world wide list. 

There are a number of shipping register sites and they may have more info. 

In the newspaper report it said that the Wiltshire has been to NZ the previous year.  The passenger lists may show if he was a serving on board for that voyage. 

Anyway you could search on Family Search to see if his name appears.

Thank you I will see what I can find regarding the previous voyage.
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."