Author Topic: Will DNA Testing confirm if I am related to another person?  (Read 2158 times)

Offline pandacub

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will DNA Testing confirm if I am related to another person?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 September 22 17:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Biggles50, that's very helpful.  I do have a couple of first cousins from that line who take an interest in my research so I will see how they feel about being tested. 
London: Bethell, Bradbury, Butlin, Cantrill, Corfe, Darby, Fisher, Medcraft, Postill, Small, Standivan, Trotter, Walker, Woodley
Beds & London: King                      Essex: Mitson, Wicker
Gloucestershire & London: Kear     Hampshire & London: Eldridge
Herts & London: Dawson                Lancs  & London: Fogg
Notts & London: Barber                  Oxfordshire & London: Hemmings
Suffolk & London: Turner                Wilts & London: Brown, Wilkins, Wise
Scotland: Allan, Insch, Stephens

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 September 22 10:21 BST (UK) »
Also, Ancestry trees per se are not incorrect - it is the input data that is incorrect.  If you are accurate and have sources then they should be no problem with your tree - unfortunately the same can't be said for other users.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline pandacub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 September 22 10:34 BST (UK) »
Yes you are quite right Pheno, it's the input data that is incorrect.  The main reason I am hesitant to put my tree online for everyone to view is because there are no sources filled in.  I started my tree many years ago before I had a computer and most of my records are still only stored on paper.  I did think about filling in all the sources but it's far too big a job.  So I prefer to have contact first with the person who wants to view to explain this.
London: Bethell, Bradbury, Butlin, Cantrill, Corfe, Darby, Fisher, Medcraft, Postill, Small, Standivan, Trotter, Walker, Woodley

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 September 22 10:42 BST (UK) »
If you do put your tree on Ancestry it will provide you with plenty of record hints for each person which can be used as your source.  You will need to go through them and sort the wood from the trees but as long as you only accept sources that you can verify and which you are sure relate to your person then you will soon populate your tree.

If you are going down the DNA route then you need to put your tree online otherwise you won't get any DNA matches.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline pandacub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 September 22 10:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pheno, that was really helpful.  I still struggle with all this online stuff.  I only recently came back to my research after neglecting it for several years and there are so many more sources and websites to learn about.  I also think I've made a bad decision with my online tree as I've just done one big tree which includes all the branches of my tree and also my husband's tree.  It's got far too big, think there are over 3000 names so far.  I can see that I can chop it into sections so I think that might be the next job!

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 15 September 22 11:19 BST (UK) »

If you are going down the DNA route then you need to put your tree online otherwise you won't get any DNA matches.

You'll get DNA matches without a tree, but you won't get the Ancestry hints and possible common Ancestors links / thrulines with your DNA matches

OH has plenty of DNA matches but hasn't yet got round to putting his tree on line. He's trying to make it "perfect" before he exposes it to the world.  ;D
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 15 September 22 12:08 BST (UK) »
You don't have to put your full tree on line but do put yourself as home person and build up to the grandparents you are interested in
And most importantly link your tree to your DNA results so others can see connections
There is a facility to search surnames in tees if your DNA matches so even if you don't have the putative father on YOUR. Tree you can see if you match anyone else with the surname on Their  trees . If it is an usual surname of their mother has an unusual surname  you will quickly see if anyone matches you on that branch
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 15 September 22 17:33 BST (UK) »
The red dots are where a DNA match and I share Common Ancestor(s) so you can see just how far back I have had to go with the vast majority of my matches.

Without you knowing how to build and use an online tree linking to DNA matches in your tree is likely to be hard work.

Your online tree only needs the names and the birth dates of your Ancestors then you will get Hints and more important imo Common Ancestor hints where a possible route from you to your DNA match is provided.  Without an online tree this will not be possible.

Once you have started to build a tree you make it PRIVATE so nobody can see it, you even have the option of turning off it being found in searches.

If you are not prepared to build an online tree then imo you are wasting your money on a DNA test.

Without an online tree the 70 Cousins I have added to my tree would still be stuck in the either, and the same with the 78 that have been added to my Wife’s tree.

Offline pandacub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 15 September 22 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the replies. I've learnt a lot and it's given me plenty to think about to help me plan the way forward.  I'm very grateful to you all for taking the time to explain things so well.