Author Topic: Will DNA Testing confirm if I am related to another person?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Will DNA Testing confirm if I am related to another person?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 22 September 22 11:11 BST (UK) »
In an Ancestry tree you can flag an individual as unverified if you want. My own view is that it’s best to keep hypothetical lines in, suitably marked, so that you can get the best of out the AncestryDNA algorithm which may (if you’re lucky) provide evidence to strengthen or disprove a hypothesis.

In Ancestry you can assign an image to the Profile, this will show up when you view the tree or the individual and is very clearly questionable.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 22 September 22 17:51 BST (UK) »
thats a great idea Biggles ...surely no one could miss a big red questionmark

Ive got a few wierd examples where someone has copied an image without checkin

i messaged the person whod copied the image for my 3xggmother which was a screen shot of her profile ,relationship to me ..I politely said you may want to change the title of this image as its my great grandmother she is your 3x great aunt  !

many people put photos of their "pops" or Grandma without changing the title ..it leads to thinking that the tree holder is the grandchild of the person in the picture
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 23 September 22 00:04 BST (UK) »
My greatgrandfather's birth cert shows him as Philip William Small born on 26th Oct 1870 at 13 Bermuda St Mile End.  Father Philip Small, occupation painter.  Mother Rebecca Bethell.  His christening record, 20th Nov 1970 at St Thomas Stepney, shows parents as Philip and Rebecca Small, abode Stepney, father's occupation painter.  I have found nothing to say that Philip and Rebecca were ever married.
When adding addresses it's always best to add the Reg. Dist. / County / Country as there are quite a few places named 'Mile End'.

What info. do you have for the family &/or Philip on the 1871 census?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 23 September 22 00:22 BST (UK) »
I think perhaps we are all going a little more deeply into the OP's question than is really necessary.

If I understand correctly, OP has a paper trail to a person called Philip Small who would be their 2X great grandfather. OP also has a possible candidate, and has made contact with a person directly descended from this possible candidate.

Assuming both of them are correct, that would, I think make them 3rd half cousins (if the person contacted is of the same generation as OP - a remove or two if they are not).

I may be mistaken, but I think the chances of that close a match not registering as a DNA match are very slim.

So assuming all the above to be correct, I think the simple answer to the OP's original question is YES, if you are correct, a DNA test taken by you both should produce a match.

Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline Carmella

• RootsChat Member
  • nsus information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 23 September 22 08:58 BST (UK) »
Here are some statistics from ISOGG on the probability that 2 cousins will share enough DNA for the relationship to be detected:

https://isogg.org/wiki/Cousin_statistics

Online pandacub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 23 September 22 11:06 BST (UK) »

If I understand correctly, OP has a paper trail to a person called Philip Small who would be their 2X great grandfather. OP also has a possible candidate, and has made contact with a person directly descended from this possible candidate.

Yes that's correct, you've summed the situation up there better than I managed to!  Thanks for all your help. 
London: Bethell, Bradbury, Butlin, Cantrill, Corfe, Darby, Fisher, Medcraft, Postill, Small, Standivan, Trotter, Walker, Woodley
Beds & London: King                      Essex: Mitson, Wicker
Gloucestershire & London: Kear     Hampshire & London: Eldridge
Herts & London: Dawson                Lancs  & London: Fogg
Notts & London: Barber                  Oxfordshire & London: Hemmings
Suffolk & London: Turner                Wilts & London: Brown, Wilkins, Wise
Scotland: Allan, Insch, Stephens

Online pandacub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 23 September 22 11:26 BST (UK) »

When adding addresses it's always best to add the Reg. Dist. / County / Country as there are quite a few places named 'Mile End'.

What info. do you have for the family &/or Philip on the 1871 census?

Annie

Sorry Annie, it's Mile End in London, Reg Dist is Mile End Old Town, County Middlesex.

In 1871 Philip Small was in Eldon, Sheffield, Yorkshire West Riding.  My greatgrandfather was still at Bermuda St with his aunt and uncle.  Philip Small's brother William Wilson Small was in St Jude Eldon St, Ecclesall Bierlow, Yorkshire West Riding.  His married sister Elizabeth Olgilvie was still in Scotland.  His mother Helen Small died in 1864.  I can't find a death record for his father Robert Small, but think he was also dead by 1871. 

Thanks for all your help.
London: Bethell, Bradbury, Butlin, Cantrill, Corfe, Darby, Fisher, Medcraft, Postill, Small, Standivan, Trotter, Walker, Woodley

Online pandacub

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 15 April 23 14:41 BST (UK) »
An update. 
I did the DNA test and I've just finally finished going through some of the many matches.  I have a match with my contact who is a direct descendant of Philip Small.  I also have matches with 37 other people who have Philip Small or his extended family in their trees.  I still have more matches to look at but I'm hopeful I have found sufficient proof here to be sure that Philip Small was my 2xGGP. 
Thanks again to everyone who helped me. 

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 15 April 23 16:08 BST (UK) »
That's great + I want to add that I loved Albu..s hint earlier on topic

Don't be an ancestry snob

My 3rd cousin wanted to do his own tree and accepted Ancestry hints I had to slow him down before he went back too many generations as  he'd got a hint for his maybe aunt in the basis that DNA match comes out as cousin ( which did turn out to be tree ) but his cousin has not included mother's maiden name .
Ancestry hint was for a birth under married name

So name was wrong
Also the person he'd added died age 2 so couldn't have been his grandmother
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson