Author Topic: The Quarry Maternity Home, Lincoln, Lincolnshire 1957  (Read 474 times)

Offline Linsey1234

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Quarry Maternity Home, Lincoln, Lincolnshire 1957
« on: Thursday 15 September 22 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have just found out my father was born in the Quarry maternity home in Lincoln, Lincolnshire in 1957.

I have seen posts about the place but was wondering if anyone has any experience being here at this time?

My dad was adopted and sadly passed this year :-( Since then. I have applied for his original birth certificate which I have now received.

I have found my dads 2 half sisters and met up with 1 and her two daughter. His BM is still alive. His daughters don't have a great relationship with her. I have wrote a letter to her but as of yet no reply.

There is no birth father on the certificate. I am currently waiting for his adoption file to come through which I'm hoping may have some more information on there.

Does any one also know what information maybe in an adoption file from the 1950s

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: The Quarry Maternity Home, Lincoln, Lincolnshire 1957
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 September 22 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Linsey1234

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

The Mirror newspaper ran this story www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/son-reunited-mum-thought-hed-4540688

The person in this story was born the same year as your dad.

From what you mention, you have already seen all the old threads on the Home here on RootsChat? One here for example www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=394356.0

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 September 22 21:12 BST (UK) »
I can't say specifically what will be on the file as they vary.
Mine from that time is the thinnest ever seen in the county ;D .
Even so it names the father and the reason for adoption. I knew this so I didn't learn anything.
Some include letters and photos from the biological parents and even trinkets but don't hold your breath !

Offline yvdc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 February 24 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have read some of the posts about the Quarry Maternity Home, not far from the cathedral in Lincoln. I am trying to help my husband find out about his birthparents. In December 1960 he was born at the home and was adopted by a couple who, after a settling in period in rural Derbyshire, took him to Burma( Myanmar )as that was where their life was based. His name was changed by the couple who adopted him. A few years ago I did find out a bit about the home itself. In recent years, my husband has decided that he wants to know more about where he came from as he has felt it keenly affects his sense of who he is. With a coup taking place in 1962 in Burma, the family returned to the UK. If anyone has ideas or guidance about how I should begin my search, I would be so grateful.  Thank you, Yvonne

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 February 24 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello yvdc,welcome to rootschat.

This is an old thread and one that wasn't that busy in the first place. YOu might be better off starting another thread of your own with the information that you've given us.

Good luck in your search.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Linsey1234

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 February 24 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Yvonne,

This was my post 😊 I have since received my father’s adoption file, and have tracked down his birth parents (who are both still alive) and have a fantastic relationship with my aunties and cousins.

I got his file from council. As he was Born and adopted in Lincolnshire, this was quite straight forward. If your husband contacts the adoption team of the council that the adoption takes place, they will be able to help him with information need.

As for finding his family, I was approached by a man who said he did this for a hobby and wanted to take on my case. I kid you know, I knew all of my aunties and cousins names in 24 hours. This was my mums side of the family. My dad’s side I hired someone to research them from my dna.

I hope this helps x

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 February 24 15:35 GMT (UK) »
There is a long running (since 2009) thread on the Lincs board about the Quarry.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=394356
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline yvdc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 February 24 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I read through the long running thread from 2009 onwards, but I posted my reply on the shorter thread as the dates of entries seemed to be more recent. I have just searched and tried to find concise info on how to start with a brand new post as suggested by  the first reply I have had and I cannot make out how to do this. I am supposed to find the forum index?  What should I do? Copy and paste my query on to the 2009 ongoing thread or try to start a new thread?