Author Topic: Top of the Lee  (Read 428 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Top of the Lee
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 September 22 16:56 BST (UK) »
I have no idea of abodes - but George and Alice childrens baptisms as follows

Baptism: 17 May 1812 Chapel, Edenfield, Lancashire, England
Anne Pickup - Daughter of George Pickup & Alice
    Abode: Shuttleworth

Baptism: 8 Jun 1823 Chapel, Edenfield, Lancashire, England
William Pickup - Son of George Pickup & Alice
    Abode: Bank Lane Walmsly
    Baptised by: J,H,Johnson

Baptism: 16 Mar 1831 Chapel, Edenfield, Lancashire, England
Sarah Pickup - Daughter of George Pickup & Alice
    Born: 10 Nov 1830
    Abode: Top a Lee
    Baptised by: J Clayton

is there a clue with the record that says Bank Lane WALMSLY ??

Walmersley-with-Shuttleworth or Walmersley cum Shuttleworth was a township. It was also a registration sub-district for BMDs. It was the smallest ward of Ramsbottom Urban District Council, by population.
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol5/pp141-143
https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Walmersley/ParishMap

Shuttleworth, Lancashire Family History Guide
https://www.parishmouse.co.uk/lancashire/shuttleworth-lancashire-family-history-guide/
This has links for adjacent parishes and townships.

Tithe map of Walmersley cum Shuttleworth
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2302844

Bank Lane is a locality in Shuttleworth, next to Whalley Road.

Walmersley shouldn't be confused with Walmsley, an ecclesiastical parish near Bolton.   
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 16 September 22 18:03 BST (UK) »
Some children were baptised at Emmanuel, Holcombe. Parents seem like the same George & Alice. Timing of births & baptisms fit in chronologically with those at Edenfield.
 4th Aug. 1805 John Piccop abode Banklane
 20th June 1807 Betty Pickup abode Glorybutts
 24th Sept. 1809 Alice Pickup abode Walmersley
 15 Oct. 1815 Abraham Picup abode Shuttleworth, occupation farmer 
 22nd Nov. 1818 James Pickup abode Moorside, Shuttleworth, occupation farmer
https://lan-opc.org.uk/Bury/Holcombe/emmanuel/index.html
1 curate served Holcombe and Edenfield when they were both chapels in Bury parish.

A marriage to consider at St. Mary, Bury.
3rd April 1804
George Pickup (X) farmer, bachelor, this parish
Alice Maden (X) spinster, this parish
https://lan-opc.org.uk/Bury/Bury/stmary/index.html
It was common for couples who lived in Holcombe, Edenfield, Walmersley &c. to marry at the parish church in Bury.
There were other marriages of men named George Pickup to a bride named Alice in the wider Bury. Rossendale and Bolton districts which might fit with those baptisms at Holcombe and Edenfield.   

St. John, Shuttleworth opened 1845
https://lan-opc.org.uk/Bury/Shuttleworth/index.html

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 September 22 19:08 BST (UK) »
Burial 8th July 1839 Emmanuel, Holcombe
George Pickup age 58, abode Top oth Lee
https://lan-opc.org.uk/Bury/Holcombe/emmanuel/index.html

Added. Burial Emmanuel, Holcombe 1851
Alice, age 72, widow, spouse of George, abode Heywood, formerly Top of the Lee, Shuttleworth

George's name is in the list of surnames for the Graves Register but Alice isn't.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 September 22 00:46 BST (UK) »
Have I got the wrong one ?? on that map it is off Bleakholt Road and Edenfield is at the end of Rochdale Road

It's one mile by road from there to Edenfield. Maybe shorter if there are footpaths across the fields.

Bleakholt Road connects Bury Old Road and Rochdale Road.
The centre of Edenfield is about half-a-mile from Top o'th' Lea. The parish church is towards the north end of the village.
The nearest named settlement to Top O' th' Lea is Turn.
 Photo of Turn Village showing Rochdale Rd. and Lodge Mill Rd. Top O' th' Lea farm is situated between Rochdale Rd., Lodge Mill Rd., Bury Old Rd. and Bleakholt Rd.
https://www.yourlocalweb.co.uk/lancashire/edenfield/pictures/537440-turn-village/

Photo of Top O' th' Lea Farm from a different angle (the working side) to the one posted previously. 
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1771885

Bleakholt is an animal sanctuary. Moor to east is site of 2nd biggest onshore wind farm in England.

Cowban

Offline glendan561

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 September 22 00:49 BST (UK) »
I have the marriage for Geo. Pickup and Alice Maden and, as you say, there are a number of other marriages between a Geo. Pickup and an Alice in the Bury area as well as Haslingden. I thought the G & A living at Top of the Lee might have been the grandparents of the Sarah Pickup I'm trying to untangle however, it looks as though they were her parents and my confusion is with Bank Lane, Top of the Lee and Shuttleworth as geographic locations.

Are Bank Lane and Top of the Lee two separate abodes/addresses? Initially, I had Sarah Pickup b. abt 1830, Shuttleworth, with no mention of Bank Lane until I noticed several public member trees on Ancestry with varying birth dates between 1831 and 1833, Top of the Lee Farm, Shuttleworth Lane. Sarah's parents on a number of these trees are Geo. P b. 1804  and Alice Burrs b. 1805 - 1888. I can find a marriage for a GP and Alice Burrs however, I wasn't convinced the name was Burrs and I can't locate any information about her other than that marriage record. Regardless, this couple are not the GP and AP from Top of the Lee farm and as the bishop's transcript only records a baptism for Sarah Pickup with her parents being GP etc., I think they've just run with that.

Thank you for your assistance, I'm working my way through Sarah's siblings which bear no resemblance to what I'd previously been told!
Smith (Elgin & Knockando), Duncan (Morayshire), Rose (Sutherland),Alexander (Morayshire), MacLennan (Morayshire), Milne (Glenlivet), Golding, Williams (Swansea,Wales), Tregoning, Haworth (Bury, Lancashire)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 September 22 03:21 BST (UK) »
I have the marriage for Geo. Pickup and Alice Maden and, as you say, there are a number of other marriages between a Geo. Pickup and an Alice in the Bury area as well as Haslingden. I thought the G & A living at Top of the Lee might have been the grandparents of the Sarah Pickup I'm trying to untangle however, it looks as though they were her parents and my confusion is with Bank Lane, Top of the Lee and Shuttleworth as geographic locations.

Are Bank Lane and Top of the Lee two separate abodes/addresses? Initially, I had Sarah Pickup b. abt 1830, Shuttleworth, with no mention of Bank Lane until I noticed several public member trees on Ancestry with varying birth dates between 1831 and 1833, Top of the Lee Farm, Shuttleworth Lane.

Top O' th' Lea is definitely a farm which still exists, proof being the photographs. Whether there was more than 1 farm or cottages 200 years ago, I don't know. You need to look at old maps, including the tithe map. The oldest Ordnance Survey map and the tithe map are from around 1840. Tithe maps & records showed names of occupiers and owners of each portion of land. Ramsbottom Heritage Society produced a "Date of Build Register" for buildings within the former Ramsbottom Urban District Council area. Information was collected from datestones and census and other records. A new edition was made either this year or last and put on the society website. It's a large document.
Bank Lane is an area in Shuttleworth. It's at the south side of the village of Shuttleworth. Top O' th' Lea farm is about half-a-mile NE of Bank Lane. Between Bank Lane and Top o' th' Lea farm are a stream called Cross Bank Brook, and Bamford Road. (I don't know if Bamford Rd. existed when George Pickup lived in the area.) Turn Rd. (a short road) leads off Bamford Rd. to Bury Old Rd. Half-a-mile south of Bank Lane is an area called Fletcher Bank.
Shuttleworth is a very small village and was part of the township of Walmersley-cum-Shuttleworth. A township was a division of a civil parish. Civil parishes and townships were administrative areas for things like poor relief. A township wasn't the same as a town. Walmersley-cum-Shuttleworth township consisted of some small villages or hamlets, farms, cottages, mills and quarries when George Pickup's children were born. The last councillor for Shuttleworth ward on Ramsbottom District Council represented an electorate of around 300 in 1972. He's in the House of Lords now. (From small beginnings ...)

If all those children with parents George & Alice who were baptised at Holcombe and Edenfield were children of the same couple, I think that sometimes a specific abode was written in the register and sometimes only an area.
 I may have located another farm, Moorside, Shuttleworth, abode at baptism of James at Holcombe in 1818. The present Moor Side Farm is on Moorside Lane, between Bamford Rd. and Rochdale Rd. 
Another abode was Glorybutts (baptism of Betty, 1807 at Holcombe). That's one I can't place. I think it was an area in the Walmersley part of Walmersley-cum-Shuttleworth. It was abode for some families in Christ Church, Walmersley registers. Abode for baptism of Alice 1809, next child George & Alice Pickup was Walmersley.
George's occupation wasn't stated at the first 3 baptisms at Holcombe (John 1805, Betty 1807, Alice 1809). Occupation was husbandman for Anne's baptism at Edenfield 1812. Occupation farmer from 1815 (Abraham's baptism).

Another Pickup burial. Edenfield Chapel 21st Dec. 1810, Robert Pickup age 31, abode Top of Lee.

John & Jane Pickup lived at Bank Lane. They had son George baptised 1830. A George Pickup aged 3, of Bank Lane, was buried 1833. (John was name of a son of George & Alice, baptised 1805 at Holcombe.)

Burial Emmanuel, Holcombe 1851
Alice, age 72, widow, spouse of George, abode Heywood, formerly Top of the Lee, Shuttleworth

If Alice's age at death was correct it would make her over 50 when the last child was born. Age at death was sometimes estimated.

Have you found Alice and children in 1841 and 1851 censuses? What was Alice's place of birth on 1851 census?
Census enumerator's books included a description of the enumeration area, naming boundary roads, rivers or other landmarks. Browsing pages is useful for familiarising yourself with the area.   

Cowban