Author Topic: Mark Aloysious Burke  (Read 3353 times)

Offline angela480

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mark Aloysious Burke
« on: Monday 05 September 05 22:09 BST (UK) »
Unable to find details of his birth except that he was born in Tuam, Galway, written in his obituary, (Catholic Telegraph?), died 1st Feb 1911, aged 70.
He was educated at St Jarlaths College under Dr MacEvilly and Achbishop MacHale. He proceeded to study for priesthood at Maynooth but abandonned a clerical career.
I don't know when he came to London to work on Fllet Street but he married Jane Andrews from Glos in 1871. Father given as Joseph Burke.
Can anyone help with his birth details or Irish family connections?

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Mark Aloysious Burke
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 January 07 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Angela,

We know Mark was born in 1841. I contacted NiftyFifty47 who told me that since he dropped out of Maynooth he would be known as a "spoiled priest" .. she also told me that the family may have disowned him as it was a great honour to have a priest as a member of the family.

There was at least one Mark Burke mentioned in Griffith's Valuation - Galway 1855. There's a possibility that there may be records of the intake of students at Maynooth.

Chris

Offline angela480

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 January 07 11:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris
Many thanks for info...
I now know that Mark A Burke died in London 1 Feb 1911 and his obituary article that I have must come from a Galway paper at about that time.
It states that he was 'best man' of his year on leaving Maynooth - so I was assuming he became priest and then abadonned this career. Would family stigma still apply?
His 1st post was for Catholic Telegraph in Dublin (financed by J Sadlier).
He appears in 1861 UK Census as a border in Beastmarket Hill, Nottingham - printer, journalist, shorthand writer so I don't know when he left Ireland but he must have been very young.
(As I said in 2005) By 1871, age 29, he is married, living in St Giles, London and working in Fleet St.
I would like to know more of his family from Tuam - the article I have must have meant that in 1911 my family still had links with Tuam/Galway to receive this obituary but sadly that is not the case today!
Kind regards
Angela Cook (nee Burke)

Offline Brian1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 07 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Just found a site which may be of use to you ( and it's free )
www.myirishancestry.com/index.php/plain/user/login   This is the Griffith Valuation tables listing.
Brian
Arnold ( Lancs ). Gordon ( Lancs, Scotland ). Dowling. ( Ireland, England, Massachusetts, Australia, Buenos Aires ) Pugh ( Pew) ( Cheshire & Lancs). Cordial ( Ireland )