Author Topic: Clements Family Antrim - Exchequer Bill Book  (Read 586 times)

Offline DonnaMarie1982

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clements Family Antrim - Exchequer Bill Book
« on: Monday 19 September 22 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone can help me decipher this note on the Exchequer book next to my ancestor Dalway Clements. (He died in 1721 and this note is in a 1722 entry so I was wondering if it was connected to this but couldn't make it out).

Also any information on the Exchequer Bill Book and what it is about so I have some context would be fantastic.

Thank you!

Donna

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Clements Family Antrim - Exchequer Bill Book
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 September 22 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna,

I believe the bit on the right says:

1722 Nov 21 Defts
Except Dalway Clements
answd joyntly …

I’m not sure what the last bit is.  But yes, it seems the other defendants lodged an answer.  Dalway didn’t, which would fit with him being dead…

Gilby

Offline DonnaMarie1982

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 September 22 21:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gilby I've been reading up on the bills books (what there is to read) and its a bit vague generally. I wonder if that note is about the other defendants answering then perhaps with the exception of Dalway (beacuse of his passing). From what I can gather its along the lines of a small claims court where people put in claims over financial matters - Dalway appears in them quite a bit but Im not sure how useful the information is :)

Defts would be defendents then I think.

Donna.

Offline DonnaMarie1982

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 September 22 21:10 BST (UK) »

Im not sure on how these work but know that Dalway had a wife - Mary. Is the Mary Wright also Clements likely to be this Mary and a Maiden name? Im not sure why they would do that as Ive not seen maiden names listed elsewhere flicking through the book.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 September 22 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Donna,

I’ve looked at a lot of these, but I’m still not completely sure what’s going on.  This is just the index book.  Sometimes you come across Crossle or Thrift abstracts of the actual bill and legal arguments each way – they can be very illuminating.

My understanding of this one is that Thomas Garvan (the plaintiff) filed a bill (11th Jun 1722) against Dalway Clements and the others (the defendants), probably because he considered he was owed money or land.  The defendants (except Dalway) lodged their reply on the 21st Nov 1722.  There does not appear to have been a judgement in this case.

Normally (but not always) it would say “his wife” after the wife’s name.  Usually all the defendants are either related, or they are the trustees representing people who were all related. 

In this case, I would guess Mary Wright alias Clements is the person mentioned here:

1737 - Book 92 / Page 344 / Number 64851
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-S4NH-V?i=182&cat=185720
Memorial of a deed perfected by Mary Clements of Ballymultrea, Co Londonderry, widow unto her daughter Mary Wright dated 8th Dec 1737.  Whereby for £50, Mary Clements granted to Mary Wright various household goods.  In presence of John Wms of Ballagherty, parish of Ballinderry, and Henry Clements of Ballyronaninye, parish of Ardtrea, and of Dalloway [Dalway] Clements of Ballymultrea, parish of Ballinderry, all Barony of Loginsholling [?], Co Londonderry.  Memorial witnessed by said John Wm and by Wm Docherty [Doherty] of the town of Magherafelt.

Gilby

Offline DonnaMarie1982

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 September 22 00:47 BST (UK) »
Ohhh thats an intresting one. Let me go away and digest that. I know the Clements branch was moving towards Ballinderry around that time as Lieut Dolway Clements (d1721) is buried at St.Swithens Magherafelt whereas previous I believe the family was using the church at Ballynure.

Some dissecting to do. Thank you.

Donna

Offline DonnaMarie1982

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 September 22 00:52 BST (UK) »
With the date of the case possibly it could be some sort of will dispute I know these were handled through the Exechequer as well. This one if it is for Dalway (d.1721) is raised following his death. Though Dalway seems to be involved in several disputes over the years preceding.

It could however be another sort of claim against his son Dalway.

Donna

Offline DonnaMarie1982

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 September 22 01:01 BST (UK) »
Just running things through.

It looks like Dalway does have a Mary (dau) Henry and Dalway (sons) on his 1721 will attached. That bit fits with the will of Mary.

My thinking on this was however that maybe this Dalways wife (?Mary) had already passed as he leaves nothing to her on the transcript. But the above will of Mary that also mentions a Mary Wright is later in time than Dalways will.

Intriguing.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 October 22 21:24 BST (UK) »
There is another abstract of Dalway Clement’s 1721 will on the preceding page of T700 which mentions his wife Mary. 

There’s also this exchequer bill entry from 1691:
23 May 1691    Charles Freton [?]   Robt Scott att
Plaintiff = Charles Anbery mercht
Defendants = Dalway Clements, Mary his wife, and Hugh Reyney.

Meanwhile, Humphrey Tracy’s 1729 will does not mention a granddaughter Mary Clements/Wright. 

There’s nothing conclusive, but I’m leaning towards having Mary Clements who married ____ Wright as being daughter of the Dalway Clements who died c1721, rather than of his (presumed) son Dalway Clements who was 15 in 1708 (Alumni Dublinensis).