Author Topic: The Curious Case of the Missing Marriage (18th century)  (Read 1723 times)

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The Curious Case of the Missing Marriage (18th century)
« on: Saturday 24 September 22 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hello,

After being forced to take a break from family history due to health problems, I have returned with renewed gusto, determined to break down some of my peskiest brick walls!

I am a descendant of Vincent Head and his wife, Frances, through their son Charles Head (1731-1773). Vincent was born in West Stowell, Wiltshire, in 1701, to William Head and his wife, Sarah Pyke. Researching back from Vincent's parents was fairly straightforward once I found their marriage bond.

This issue is not with Vincent himself, but the identity of Charles' mother, Frances. I have searched far and wide and cannot find any marriage between a Vincent Head and a Frances. I've tried all the possible spellings I can think of and still no luck!

When Vincent was around 14, he was sent to London to serve an apprenticeship under a pastry cook. I found Vincent's name on an FindMyPast index to the Martin-in-the-Fields settlement examinations, which also mentioned his wife, Frances. It took place in 1725. Recently, the images were uploaded to FamilySearch (hurray!) and I was finally able to read it:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9YW2-W77?cat=373822
Within the record, he states that he and Frances married upwards of a year ago in "Cane", Wiltshire and that they were currently childless. The only place I could think of was Calne, so I excitedly rushed over to the images of the Calne parish register... but their marriage wasn't there.

I am really stumped; I also cannot find the baptism of their eldest child, Sarah. She is mentioned in an index for the Wiltshire settlement certificates on FindMyPast:
Vincent, wife Frances, dau Sarah. Living in Marlborough St Peter & Paul. Settlement certificate from St Martin in the Fields, Middx.
The year is listed as 1726, so she must have been born sometime between the 2 records. Sarah married Charles Gibbons in 1753. The first baptism I can find for Vincent is for his daughter Elizabeth, who was born in 1730.

If anyone can help, even with a suggestion for what "Cane" could be, I would be very grateful!

Queenie  :)

P.S. If you find the Wikitree profile on Vincent Head, that is mine  ;D
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: The Curious Case of the Missing Marriage (18th century)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 September 22 17:52 BST (UK) »
I don't know Wiltshire, so I apologise if this is a stupid thing to say, but was it possibly at Caen Hill, rather than at Calne?

There seems to be a Caen Hill Locks, in Wiltshire. https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/places-to-visit/caen-hill-locks

I suppose given the date, the marriage might predate the locks, but the area could have had the same name, maybe?
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 September 22 18:40 BST (UK) »
I don't know Wiltshire, so I apologise if this is a stupid thing to say, but was it possibly at Caen Hill, rather than at Calne?

There seems to be a Caen Hill Locks, in Wiltshire. https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/places-to-visit/caen-hill-locks

I suppose given the date, the marriage might predate the locks, but the area could have had the same name, maybe?

What parish would that be? Devizes? I had a look through the Devizes parish registers on Ancestry, but still no luck.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 September 22 20:34 BST (UK) »
I've just asked my Wiltshire born OH about Cane and he also suggest Caen Hill, Devizes,  as Stanwix:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/places-to-visit/caen-hill-locks

I'll see if I can find anything else

Gadget

PS - have you looked at the non-conformist registers, just in case? The area had many N-C of various denominations, which I discovered doing my in-laws' tree :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 September 22 20:58 BST (UK) »
I can find a few Sarahs bpt in the area with mmn Frances but not with a Vincent. Could Frances have been previously married ?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 September 22 21:41 BST (UK) »
I assume that this is Frances's burial record. it's from the Wiltshire burial index so just a transcription :

Marlborough , Sts Peter and Paul
30 August 1739 Francis Head, wife of Vensson Head (next of kin) - spelling of names  taken from transcription

No age given to do a more detailed search.

Gadget

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 September 22 12:59 BST (UK) »
Checking with the National Archives for Vincent Head

Reference 9/2/22

Description:
Counterpart of lease for 7 years
(1) Thomas HODGES of Marlborough, Maltster
(2) Vincent HEAD of Marlborough, Innholder

Two estates called Chamberlain's freehold with in sheep sleight, and Hellier's leasehold ground in
MANTON, PRESHUTE, barn, stable, backside, rickbarton, meadow, pasture, arable, woods, etc.
(except Chamberlain's house and the plot called the Hundred Acres, and timber.).

Rent  £12 p.a. for Chamberlain's freehold and £2 p.a. for Hellier's leasehold.

Date: 15 August 1758

Held by: Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre.

---

There may be clues in the naming of the children.  17/18 the century naming patterns are on the net.

First son- named after the father's father
First daughter - named after the mother's mother
Second son - named after the mother's father
Second daughter -  named after the father's mother
Third son - named after the father
Third daughter - named after the mother
Fourth son - named after the father's eldest brother
Fourth daughter - named after the mother's eldest sister

----

CANE?  Outside chance it would be Ashton KEYNES

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 September 22 13:22 BST (UK) »
Wiltshire Record Office also has this

Reference: 212B/4749

(1) HEAD, Vincent:  HIGHAM, James Churchwardens of SS Peter & Paul
Wentworth, James, Brinsden, John Haines, Robert Overseers of the Poor

(2) Hutchens, Joseph, Brickmaker

Lease and Release of a messuage called the Blue Boar in Barn St par St Mary, Marlborough.

24 March 1774 - 25 March 1774

------

SS Peter & Paul (same Church as the burial of Frances)

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 September 22 20:21 BST (UK) »
PS - have you looked at the non-conformist registers, just in case? The area had many N-C of various denominations, which I discovered doing my in-laws' tree :-\

I had a look to see if I could view the nonconformist registers, but the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre says that "hardly any of these registers begin before 1750, and many cover only the early decades of the 19th century" and "registers seem not to have survived at all for many congregations", so I feel the chances of finding this marriage, if it was nonconformist, within these records are quite low. Do you think it would be worth contacting them?

I can find a few Sarahs bpt in the area with mmn Frances but not with a Vincent. Could Frances have been previously married ?

I don't think so; I'm fairly certain that Sarah was named after Vincent's mother and the couple is described as childless in the settlement examination of 1725. He also left a significant amount of his estate to Sarah's husband, which makes me think she is his daughter.

I assume that this is Frances's burial record. it's from the Wiltshire burial index so just a transcription :

Marlborough , Sts Peter and Paul
30 August 1739 Francis Head, wife of Vensson Head (next of kin) - spelling of names  taken from transcription

No age given to do a more detailed search.

Gadget

Sorry, I meant to include this but I forgot. Yes, that is Frances' burial, she died the same day their daughter was baptised, so I think she died as a result of postpartum complications. The image does not add any more, sadly.

Thank you for your suggestions.