Author Topic: Help with a mystery photo  (Read 7231 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Help with a mystery photo
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 September 22 00:51 BST (UK) »
In photo 1, does anyone else think there is a facial resemblance between the elderly man and the woman whose shoulder his hand rests on? The gesture suggests to me that there's more of a connection between him and her than between him and her husband.
I agree the facial features are very alike especially their noses but the eyes & cheekbones too. They both have thin chins with dimples & broad foreheads.

The 'touching' gesture (hand on shoulder) would suggest a close family relationship.

I'm not convinced the stick the lady is holding is a walking stick as it looks a bit long & thin?
I thought it looked more like a shepherds' crook/staff although I may be wrong but thought I'd mention anyway.

I think the lady is wearing some kind of leg covering which could make it look as though her legs are swollen but the colouring (white) is unlike the other bare parts.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 September 22 17:53 BST (UK) »
She died of childbed fever. And her baby died not long after.

Maybe all 3/4 were visitors to the Croft and not resident. I can see a few shadows in the photo ... one probably the photographer but seem to be others there too.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 September 22 23:14 BST (UK) »
She died of childbed fever. And her baby died not long after.

Maybe all 3/4 were visitors to the Croft and not resident. I can see a few shadows in the photo ... one probably the photographer but seem to be others there too.

That's very sad, anabanana.
You could post the picture of the male crofter and ask Rootchatters if they think he is the same man as the one in the photo - just a suggestion.

Best,
Looby :)

Offline anabanana

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 October 22 11:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Looby, it I'd awfully sad. The lady who died was my granny's mum, and she died on my granny's 7th birthday. I will try to dig out the photo of granny's father x