Author Topic: Marriage of William Smith to Elizabeth Dale 1801?  (Read 1062 times)

Offline timmis1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of William Smith to Elizabeth Dale 1801?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 10 October 22 20:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your help Alan

Sue

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 09:29 BST (UK) »
William wasn`t a cordwainer, I would have thought Agricultural Laborer, even thought he says farmer in the 1841 census.

I was referring to John, b 1803, as the cordwainer, rather than William.

I have a lot of relatives in the Woodchurch area, including a Smith who married a Linacre, but not the same family. When I did a DNA test, I had quite a lot of matches in Wirral. A test might be of benefit to trace William's wife, but doesn't always help, particularly if people haven't included a tree.

David

Offline timmis1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 11 October 22 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Sorry for that, there has been a lot of information, I am getting confused. ;)
A DNA test would be a good idea.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 15 October 22 11:12 BST (UK) »
Having got involved with this thread, I decided to have a look at my Smith tree, and it seems that I had the wrong Elizabeth/Betty Smith as the the wife of my ancestor, William Jones.

In fact, William married the sister of your William Smith. She is on nearly all of the trees on Ancestry, but incorrectly, saying that she was born on 13th August 1779 and died on 29th August. Although the birth is correct, the parish record has her baptism on 29th August, not her death. They had eight children with their mother as Elizabeth or Betty. Nearly everybody seems to have copied an incorrect record.

Similarly, most trees have William marrying Elizabeth Washington, which is incorrect, and copied from another wrong entry.

On further searching, I found five DNA matches with descendants of Betty's brother, John, born in 1791. Some don't go back as far as John, one has him as the son of Richard Smith and Martha Linacre and one as the son of Richard Smith and Nancy Linacre.

Elizabeth/Betty died on 11th March 1869 in West Kirby. Her age is given as 93, which caused the initial confusion. The 1861 census has her as born 1779 in Moreton, which is a perfect fit.

David

Offline timmis1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 16 October 22 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi David

I must admit that I have not looked for the siblings of William Smith b 1783 Moreton.
So I have not really followed Betty, however on the CPRP I have found an entry for a Betty Smith daughter of Richard & Ann Smith she is born on the 13th of August 1779 and baptised on 28th of August 1779

with the additional information of her grandparents being Richard (snr) and Mary Smith  there is also reference to  an Ann (DA) and a daniel & Margt Lincacre

so perhaps the above partially explains where the date of 28th of August 1779 comes from and some how a Daniel & Margt Lincacre are connected to the family.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 17 October 22 10:09 BST (UK) »
Most of the trees on Ancestry have Daniel and Margaret as the parents of Nancy Linacre who married Richard Smith.
However, although they have the birth of Nancy in 1751 in Bidston, it doesn't appear in the records. I think most seemed to have copied other entries.

I did find a possble marriage for Daniel, although nearly 40 miles from Bidston, and a different Margaret from most trees:-
Daniel Linigar of Weaverham and Margaret Harrison of Great Budworth Parish married Sept 22nd 1751, which is aslo on the CPRD.

Since updating my tree, I now have 31 matches to descendants of Nancy Linacre, together with others who have different parents, and those who have William Jones marrying a different wife.

I will keep searching.

David

Offline timmis1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 17 October 22 13:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying that David, you make me feel very bad that I don`t work these things out, but must admit I only dip in and out, I need to get a bit more time.
I am just disappointed about the marriage records for Bidston  not being available around 1801 and the only other way being via DNA test to find a Link between William Smith b 1793 and the Elizabeth he married, I am sure it will come right one day.
Thanks again

Sue