Author Topic: Jane Beattie  (Read 6362 times)

Offline baldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Jane Beattie
« on: Tuesday 06 September 05 05:15 BST (UK) »
I am looking for  information on Jane Beattie dob C1843,parents were William Beattie & Janet Callander.
What I have sofar is that she had a child (illegitimate),and later married Robert Callander (1880)I am interested to find some information on (a) Robert Callander (b) where & when she was married (c) any further addition to the family.

Thanks in advance
Beattie,Sproat,Thom(p)son,Ferguson,Callander,Cook,Wood,Smith,Grierson,Jamieson

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Beattie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Baldy,

Beattie is quite a common name in teh SW of Scotland.  Do you know where she was born or lived at any point in her life?  Marriages often took place in teh brides home parish.

All the best,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 September 05 19:15 BST (UK) »
There are some advantages to looking for a Beattie in that it is a very well researched surname and there are three or four Beattie sites on the web with extensive trees.

However it helps to have some idea of the location they came from originally.  There is a high concentration in Eskdale but they can be found both sides of the Border, and across Dumfriesshire. They are also one of the families forced into emigration in the 17th/18th century, for their activities in the movement of cattle.

I would recommend searching Beattie on the web to see if these sites come up, I haven't the addresses by me. It is probably your easiest route.  However as Calander is less common, you might have luck with that. 

There are Monument Inscription records you can access, some on the web eg Watcarrick and Eskdalemuir cemeteries, that have been generated just for Beattie.

Your biggest problem is common names in Beattie lineages, and William is one.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright

Offline baldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Pam.
I "think" that she may have been born in Kirkbean.My reason for this is because all of her siblings were born there and are listed in the 1851 census.(address is given as Barrand 870)
I did not see her listed in the census,although there are a lot of mistakes in it.

Again this only speculation.

baldy

Offline baldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Longshanks.
Thanks for the reply.
I have "tried" those 2 names that you have given & cannot find anything at all for them.

In relation to the area for Jane,I believe that it may have been Kirkbean,this is according to the 1851 census as there are other members who were born there.
I have NOT been able to locate her in the census as there is a lot of mistakes in it

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 September 05 23:13 BST (UK) »
I cannot find the websites now but I'll try to find some of the addresses from my chaotic notes. Keep trying as Beattie has a large interest group - it is one of those fanciable ones like amrstrong, to whom they were commonly allied in Border Reiving times.

I'm not sure of the wisdom of moving you to Kirkcudbrightshire as Kirkbean is only just into Kirkcudbrightshire and about ten miles south of Dumfries, on an east facing stretch of the Solway coast, south of New Abbey.

There is a webside www.old-kirkcudbright.net/genealogy which has a 1798 subscription list for Kirkbean including a David Beattie.

However Janet being in Kirkbean could be transitional and maybe this needs to be in both counties.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright