Author Topic: Name a Reason I can't find a marriage Record  (Read 1890 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Name a Reason I can't find a marriage Record
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 October 22 12:26 BST (UK) »
My great-grandfather's cousins were both from the same village in Nova Scotia, they married and their children were born in the same village and they died in the same place. Is the marriage there? no. Is it in the nearby town? no. Is it in Boston where the family visited relatives & did much of their shopping? no. Where did the marriage take place?
If my grandmother hadn't already told me years ago I wouldn't have thought to look for it in Wales. Yes, Barry, Wales! The groom was great-grandfather first mate and the bride was onboard another ship with her father. They met up there between voyages and decided to get married!

What an incredible story! Not a chance you would have ever found that without prior knowledge, so there's hope for the rest of us that the marriages could be there, somewhere!
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 November 22 13:16 GMT (UK) »
I have heard of a case recently in which for unknown reason the person married in a registry office using an alias surname.  They then married again a few months later to the same person using their real surname in a Roman Catholic Church in the same area..  I think the priest must have been aware this was a second ceremony as this Church ceremony was not officially registered.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Blairvadach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 November 22 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I had real difficulty in tracing my wife’s grandmothers marriage….it turns out that she used her mother’s maiden name on her two marriages and also in her death certificate!!!!! Her mother died when she was about 10 years old, her father remarried and she was stayed with an aunt for a few years prior to getting married at 18 years old.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 November 22 18:31 GMT (UK) »
In 1807 my ancestor married under her maiden name by license but said she was a widow. Never been able to find a valid marriage for her prior to that. She may have lied to marry by license. I am sure many did on marriage licenses, no one had to show proof of baptism or previous marriage when applying for a license. Like on census and BMD records and parish registers, they just took their word for it. Today is a different story mainly.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 November 22 09:52 GMT (UK) »
A person should marry in the name "they use or are known by" at the time of the event ...no need for it to match the name given at birth, or any other they may have used.

Gives plenty of scope for variation ...

(same applies to death registrations).