Author Topic: Richard kilford 1932 (London ) who is he parents  (Read 821 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard kilford 1932 (London ) who is he parents
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 October 22 19:51 BST (UK) »
I think the most likely conclusion is that Richard is not the son of Robert Henry Kilford who married Harriet  but another Robert who married Rosina. I'm not sure whether the people who are saying you are not related to them are already known to you through Richard, or you have found them through the RH Kilford connection believing, incorrectly that he is your Robert

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 October 22 04:43 BST (UK) »
The parents of Richard Kilford born 1932 are definitely Robert Kilford and Rosina M. Sorrell who married in Mar.qtr.1924 Islington.   But which Robert Kilford was it?   The trees I've looked at on Ancestry show different Roberts (although none show any proof by certificates) and, in actual fact, I don't think the 1924 certificate will be of much help because if Robert is who I think he is he was born illegitimate!

In 1939 - as already mentioned - Rosina M Kilford is in Bedford with no family.

From electoral rolls for 1929 and 1933 Robert and Rosina are living at 20 Lamble Street, Kentish Town and whilst Rosina elsewhere in 1939 Robert is still at the same address - a Master Boot Repairer born 1/9/1890.  I wonder where their 3 children were in 1939 as don't seem to be with either parent.

In 1911 he is a boarder in St Pancras - boot repairer - BUT shown as born in Southampton, Hampshire!

Can find no trace of him in 1891 or 1901 census but found a birth entry for a Robert Henry Kilford in Sept.qtr.1890 Southampton - alas, illegitimate (per GRO index).   

'Your' Robert - married to Rosina - is plain Robert from 1911 onwards so never appears to have used his second name.

And where was he in 1891 and 1901?   Perhaps put straight into the care system of the time.

In your position I would be getting the birth certificate of the Robert Henry Kilford born Sept.qtr.1890 Southampton - one can but hope that his birthdate agrees with that on 1939 register, albeit an illegitimate birth.   I suspect his 1924 marriage certificate may just have fathers name as blank!

Hold that thought:

Although the birth of Robert Henry Kilford Sept.1890 is shown as illegitimate found the following on familysearch: Robert Henry Whitehall Kilford, bp.18/11/1890 Southampton, son of Ernest and Annie Kilford.   Looks like the child was baptised as if of a lawful union although this was not the case - Ernest (whoever he was, Whitehall??) was certainly not a Kilford, but Annie was.

I eventually found on 1891 census in Lambeth a Robert H. Whittall, 7 months, born Southampton, nephew to a William J. Rowe and wife Alice M. - both born Shrewton, Wiltshire.   (The couple married in Camberwell in 1886 as plain William Rowe and plain Alice Kilford).   Looked to see if Alice Kilford had a sister Annie also born in Shrewton and indeed she did.   Said Annie Kilford b.1865 was in Millbrook, Hampshire in 1891, still single, and her son Robert (listed as Whittall) with her married sister Alice in Lambeth.   Presumably Robert's natural father was a Whitehall/Whittall albeit an Ernest (or even something else).   Whoever he was Annie Kilford was not married to him and definitely still single in 1891.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 October 22 10:14 BST (UK) »
Well done Annette, that all looks very promising!

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 22 October 22 14:42 BST (UK) »
Alice and Annie were siblings of Robert Henry KILFORD and he in turn was the father of the Robert Henry born in 1893 (married to Harriet REID).

Debra  :)